Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Advice


Recently, I posted the below story onto my personal Facebook page...

A conversation with my 8 year old last night before bed:
Me: Rosie, did you get your reading done?
Rosie: Well, I didn't really feel like reading.
Me: Kiddo, now that you're in 3rd grade, you may need to step it up a bit and take things a little more seriously. That doesn't mean you can't have fun. You just might need to work a little harder. Okay?
Rosie: Okay, mom. (gets very serious here) Mom?
Me: Yes, Rosie?
Rosie: Can you put my hair up tomorrow before school in a style that we've never done before?


Some might wonder why I would put this up there.  There are a couple reasons.  First, in this type of situation, which I have often with my daughter, I have to appreciate the humor or I will stress myself out to no end.  Second, I like to share these moments as I know there are a lot of parents out there who find themselves in a similar boat on a regular basis.  And finally, because I find myself having similar conversations with my high school athletes, my friends or even myself ALL THE TIME.  Case in point:

A conversation with my high school cross country runner last week:
Me: I want you to stop running.  I can tell your struggling.  There is not point in pushing it.
Runner: But, I want to finish the workout.
Me: I understand.  But, you're body is telling you to stop.  With these workouts it's quality, not quantity. You got 2 good sets in.  A third set at a slower pace is not going to make a difference.  Let's call it a day.
Runner: I don't feel like I did enough, though.
Me: Please trust me.  You're fine.  Go cool down.
Runner: Okay.  (long, quiet pause here) Coach?
Me: Yes?
Runner: I think I should do one more set.  

Kids, athletes, adults, we are all the same.  We listen.  We process.  And then we think or do what we want, which in some cases is not at all related to the advice we've been given.  And somehow, we manage - most of the time.  And if not, well, that's okay, too.  Because that advice has sunk in, if only a little, and it's waiting to be tapped when the time is right.  In the mean time, we can appreciate the humor in all of it and that's a good thing, too.

Listen to this:
RIPTIDE - Vance Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment