Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Off the Road & Still Driving


Due to my recent aforementioned fall and a few bruised ribs, I have not been able to run in a little over a week.  As my coach said yesterday when I told him I was still sore and off the road, "If you had to suffer a setback, this is not a terrible time for it."  Not terrible at all.  In fact, I've been having a ball.  So, I have not been able to run.  I have, however....

~ skied with my family up at Cannon in NH. (very, very carefully)
~ over-indulged in festive food and drink at holiday parties.
~ finished all of my Christmas shopping.
~ read the Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. Really good.
~ learned how to care for an Amaryllis flower. (not terribly hard, but I tend to kill plants, so I'm stressed about doing it right)
~ spent some quality time working on the RWM Best of 2013 Music List (there's still time to chime in)
~ consumed copious amounts of coffee with friends.
~ serviced my car (such a ridiculous pain but so satisfying when it's done)
~ figured out how to use the elliptical machine without moving my upper body while also reading a book. (this is harder than it sounds)
~ and much, much more.

....proving, once again, that life does go on even when the running doesn't.  I know, SHOCKER.  But,  seriously, it's good to get the reminder now and again.  I'm 38 years old.  I have had several running related setbacks over the years.  And like a loyal friend, running has always been there for me when I was ready to come back.  More importantly though, I've learned to make the most of my time off the road.  Particularly as I've gotten older.  Running is a "nice to have".  But family, friends (and fun) happen to be available ALL the time.  Well, okay, it's not that fun to service a car, but it IS fun to take your kids through the car wash, let them sit in the front seat and sing with them at the top of our lungs.  The road will wait for my feet.  Until then, I'll be driving on it with a very clean, fully serviced car with the music at full blast seeking out opportunities for more good times.  Àndale!!

Listen to this:
The Courtship of Summer Preasley* - The Griswolds  

* note: there is some explicit language in this ditty. 

4 comments:

  1. That is so funny - I often want to break out into concert on the treadmill. My ponytail will usually go with the beat, my gym has an old cranky guy that complains about EVERYTHING - including when i get on the treadmill. I should break out, just to annoy him lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops that was meant for your post about the dreadmill running lol.

      Delete
    2. There is always one crank at every gym. WTH?? The singing and dancing will definitely throw him off. And make you feel good. It's a win-win. Rock on.

      Delete