"There is no substitute for hard work."
~ Thomas A. Edison
FLYIN' HIGH POST RUN
At the moment, I am gearing up for a 9.25 mile tempo run. As I drink my coffee, I am having a serious heart to heart with my head and my legs. The breakdown of the workout is as follows: 2 mile warmup followed by 2 x 2.5 miles at 6:45-6:50 pace with a quarter mile rest between sets followed by a 2 mile cool down. Oh Lordy. Last night, my mother in law asked me why I do these workouts. "It sounds awful" she said. I laughed. "It is kind of awful," I told her, "but it's also kind of awesome". She looked at me like I was crazy, which was totally fair. Seriously, though, why do I do these workouts? I am not an elite athlete. My performance as a runner impacts no one but myself. No one, including my coach, is standing next to me making sure I get them done. So, why? Because they're fun? Ah ha ha ha ha. No. I can't, in my right mind, tell you I do them because I enjoy them. That would be a lie. Here's my best shot at explaining it:
TOP 10 REASONS WHY I CHOOSE TO DO HARD WORKOUTS
1. Because they add variety to my training.
2. Because they are a welcome challenge (most of the time).
3. Because they push me out of my comfort zone, which we all need once in a while.
4. Because they help me get stronger and faster.
5. Because I like to tell my high school runners not only that I get it, but that I know their hard work will pay off when they are tackling the same workouts.
6. Because they boost my confidence as a runner, mom, coach & person.
7. Because they help to justify my post-run coffee habit.
8. Because they give me bragging rites, regardless of whether I choose to use them.
9. Because I can.
10. Because when they're done, I feel like a superhero for the rest of the day, which is a damn good feeling. No cape required.
Okay, I'm leaving now. Really, I am.
Listen to this:
Run-Time - Imogen Heap