Friday, December 5, 2014

WINTER RUNNING: A TOP 10 LIST


This morning when I woke up it was 22℉.  By the time I hit the road it was a balmy 25℉.  Wheeeeeeewwwweee!  In the winter, 3 degrees warmer might as well be a different season all together.  Okay, so truth, winter running can be a bit rough, at least for me.  It gets cold, windy, icy, and then it gets colder, windier and icier and as the conditions worsen, my motivation tends to hibernate for the winter.  And every once in a while (eh hmm, last winter) it seems like it's never going to end.  EVER.  But, as I headed off today to grab my running partner for our easy 6 mile cruiser, I gave myself a talking to.  Quit your whining, Rebecca.  Let's start this winter off on a positive note, shall we?  Because, winter running can be awesome, too.  It's important to give credit where credit is due.  And winter has a lot to offer.  Sure it was cold this morning, but the air was crisp, the sun was shining, the roads were clear and I was getting to spend some quality time with my bud while getting my heart rate up at the same time.  That's a high score of 5 for winter running today.  And we're just getting started here.  It's only December 5th.  Here's my top 10 reasons why winter running is amazing.  I should note that Kirsten, my aforementioned running partner, added some solid input to this post.  So, thanks to her.  For that, and for braving the winter with me.  Because....well, we're gonna run.  Game on.


TOP 10 REASONS WHY WINTER RUNNING IS AWESOME

1.  Tons of people get out and run when the weather is good.  But, when it turns, there are only a few of us who keep going day in and day out.  And when I see a fellow runner on the road braving the elements along with me, I feel a special bond with them, a camaraderie if you will.  And that's really cool.
2.  Summer is loud.  It's hot, cars are everywhere, music is blasting, and tons people are outside.  Which is great.  But winter has a certain peacefulness to it.  I can head out for a run and be the only person on the road for hours.  It's calm and quiet.  Surreal, even.  I love that.
3. Running in the heat can be brutal.  I can strip off everything, down to my sports bra and still be hot as a skillet.  In winter, we have the option to bundle up in layers and take them off as needed.  But, rarely are we dealing with the heat.  That's nice.
4. The winter season, and more specifically the holidays, can be both hectic and stressful.  Getting out for a run, no matter what the weather, always helps relieve the tension.  Always.
5. I, personally, tend to indulge during the winter/holiday season.  I mean, it's supposed to be merry and bright, right?  Running helps keep those extra calories from creeping up on us come spring time.  Huge bonus.
6. Once in a while the weather can be so bad that's it's almost daring us to get out and fight.  Snow, sleet, wind, temps below zero, all of it is tough.  When I get back from a run and I've won that battle, I tend to feel pretty freakin' badass.
7.  Running helps me ward off the winter doldrums, otherwise known as the "I-can't-wait-for-winter-to-end" feeling that produces mild but manageable sluggishness and that overall blah feeling.  I hate that.
8. Oh, the music.  It sounds so good in the winter.  I can start listening before I open the door and my body temp will rise 10 degrees just from rocking out alone.  I often find myself dancing while I'm running in the winter.  I'm cool with that.  
9. There is nothing better than a post run hot shower in the winter time.  Nothing.
10. Wait, I take that back.  Post-run coffee might be better.  It's always well-earned and it tastes SO. DAMN. GOOD.  Mmmmm.  Coffee.

Kirsten & I, post-run today w/ Patty & Alyssa
(Look, Kirsten is glowing.  Must have been the run.)

Listen to this:
Even If I'm Loud It Doesn't Mean I'm Talking to You - Tove Styrke  

No comments:

Post a Comment