Tuesday, April 28, 2015

BACK TO LIFE

Back to life.  Back to reality
Back to the here and now, yeah
Back to life, back to the present time
Back from a fantasy, yes
~ Soul II Soul

As previously mentioned, my kids flew down to Florida on their own last Sunday for some quality time with my in-laws.  It was a win-win for all of us.  Rosie and Grace got some solo time with Nana and Papa.  My in-laws got a solid dose of parent-free grandkid time.  And I just got some time on my own.  Lots and lots of time.  I love my kids more than anything.  But having a few days to work, to run, to meet up with friends; basically do whatever I wanted and/or needed without having all the additional parenting tasks to deal with (ie. making lunches, helping with homework, or picking up, dropping off, then picking up again) was downright bliss.  A stay-cation, if you will.  By Thursday, I was well rested, incredibly well organized (man, you can get a lot done when you're alone) and itching to see my girls.  My husband and I flew down to meet up with everyone on Thursday morning and spent four amazing days with them in the hot, Florida sun.  I'm talking 90 degrees, hot.  Yes, I did run in it.  And, no, I did not complain about it.  Not a peep.  On Sunday evening, I sat on my in-laws' back porch with my feet up, watching my girls swim and enjoying the last few hours of relaxation before I would have to switch gears for Monday.  A bittersweet moment for sure.  I knew it had to end, but I wasn't quite ready.  Such is the way.  For a brief bit, I thought about the 20 miler that I was scheduled to run the next day.  I was pretty sure it wouldn't happen due to the fact that we had to get up at the crack of dawn to catch our flight.  But I wasn't ruling it out, either.  About 13 seconds later, because that's all the time I had for thoughts on marathon training on my last night, I jumped in the pool for one last swim with the girls.  When the alarm clock went off the next morning, I jolted awake and into deal mode.  Holy shite!  Game over.  Roll 'em out.  As Soul II Soul sang back in 1989,  Back to life.  Back to reality.  A little throwback for you as I let you know how my Monday unfolded.


~ 4:30AM wake up. how the hell do people get up this early on a regular basis?
~ Brushed teeth no time for the hair
~ Woke kids up and threw them and their luggage into the car.
~ Catnapped for 45 minutes on the way to the airport.
~ Sleepwalked through security and to the gate.  My kids skipped.  Rosie might have cartwheeled.  Just...how?
~ Drank a very large coffee.
~ 3 hour flight Dozed off through much of this.  R & G are amazing travelers.  Bless them.
~ Rushed home from the airport to change clothes, make lunches, grab backpacks and get girls to school.
~ Sucked down another cup of coffee on the way to school.
~ Dropped girls off and headed home.  Long run or no long run.  That was the question.  Well, actually the question really was, how awake are you, Rebecca?
~ Fortuitously found my running bud who happened to be mid-run right near the girls' school.  She'd already run 5, but told me she was happy to do a few more with me thus I scooped her up and we went back to my house so I could change and we could run from there.  She's awesome.
~ Ran 7 miles with KH.
~ Stopped at home for water and fuel and to debate (again) whether I had another 13 miles in me.  It was a long debate.  With myself.
~ Forged ahead.  Decided at mile 12 that I might have made a mistake and bitten off more than I could chew.  Then laughed because there was nothing I could do about it.
~ Back home 3 hours later.  SO.  FREAKING.  HARD.
~ Took dogs for a walk.  Okay, no.  I actually just rushed them out of the house to go to the bathroom as I had about 20 minutes to get it together before I had to get to work.
~ Showered and changed.  Again, no time to brush the hair.
~ Headed to the track for practice.
~ Grabbed another large coffee (yes, that's 3) and a sandwich on the way which I proceeded to inhale while driving.
~ Cursed at myself when I got to work because I forgot pants and it was 50 degrees and raining.  Shocker.  Not that I forgot pants.  But that it was crappy out.
~ Powered through some mile repeats.  Well, the girls did.  I just powered through.
~ Headed back home for dinner.
~ Pulled into the driveway to see Rosie and Grace running around with the neighbors.  Again...how?  Oh yeah, they're kids.
~ Ordered pizza for dinner.
~ Wrote this blog post.
~ Went to bed. 8:58pm.  The hair just didn't get brushed at all. 

Remember that Soul II Soul song I mentioned above?  In the next line they ask, or sing rather, However do you want it? However do you need it?  Vacation was incredible.  Monday was nuts.  And today is a new day.  Turns out, that's how I want it.  How I need it, really.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Listen to this:
Happy With Me - HOLYCHILD

No comments:

Post a Comment