Monday, January 23, 2017

10 'OTHER' THINGS ABOUT ME

"Find something you love then do it for the rest of your life."
~ Max Fisher

Last week I posted a photo of my sandwich on Instagram.  It was an elaborate combination of eggs, avocado, tomatoes, red peppers and cheese on whole wheat toast.  In the caption I wrote the following:


Okay, fine.  It is not a very exotic sandwich.  In fact several people replied that they'd made and enjoyed something similar that very same day.  But, I was still proud of myself for going outside of my kitchen comfort zone, if you will, and eating something other than cereal for dinner (yes, my husband was out of town).  A friend of mine who read this post reached out to me via text and said something to the effect of, Trax, how have you gotten this far without figuring out how to cook for yourself?  It's a fair question.  I explained that my husband went to culinary school after college and while he opted not go the chef route for his career, he is an incredible cook.  He also likes things done a certain way when he's in the kitchen, something I learned way back when we started dating.  I, on the other hand, have no problem with prep work and cleaning.  Thus, this has become my role.  And I'm good with it.  To which she responded, Wow, your husband went to culinary school?!  You are so damn lucky.  Which is true.  Then she said, so what else have you not told me about yourself that I should know? It was a joke, but it got me thinking.  Since I started this blog, I have thrown so much out there about myself; my running life, my personal life, all of it, really.  In some ways, exposing it all has its drawbacks.  But, it can be incredibly rewarding, too.  Clearly, or I would have shut things down years ago.  And while there are already quite a few things you do know about me at this point - I love to run, love music, love my family, am addicted to coffee, have a stupidly large collection of hooded sweatshirts and (now) that I don't know how to cook.  There are quite a few things that you may not know.  Today, I will entertain my aforementioned friend and you (hopefully) with a few random things that you might not have known about me but may find interesting, funny or both.  Have at it.

DID YOU KNOW?

1. I have moved 11 times.  Seven times as a kid - IL, NC, CT, GA, IL, CT, NY.  And four post-college - CA & 3 different cities in MA.  I've now lived in Winchester, MA for 10 years, which is the longest I've ever stayed in the same place in my 41 years.

2.  I do not have a creative bone in my body.  Can't cut in a straight line.  Can't draw.  Can't sew.  Can't do anything crafty; much to the dismay of my children.

3. I love classical music.  I don't ever post it up here or talk about it but I really like listening to it.  On the other hand, I loathe country music.  Yes, this is two in one, but they are related.

4. Pizza is my favorite food.  No shocker here.  Last meal on earth?  Easy.  Pizza from the Chilmark Store on Martha's Vineyard.  No question.

5. I was a basketball cheerleader in junior high.  I'll just leave that one right there.

6. I'm an avid reader.  I wasn't when I was growing up.  But, over the past few years I've become a bit obsessed with books.  My good friend Andrea (Born & Read in Chicago) is contributing to my obsession.

7. Rushmore is my favorite movie. Bill Murray my favorite actor.  Max Fisher my favorite movie character.  And Wes Anderson my favorite director.  I know this is 4 things, but it's kind of an all-in-one package.

8. I've broken two bones.  My left wrist in kindergarten when I fell off a jungle gym.  And my right wrist in high school when I fell while I was snowboarding.  I still love to climb jungle gyms.  I'm done with snowboarding.

9. I have never worn makeup.  I don't know how to put it on.  And my goal is to die without learning. (yes, I'm fully aware that I probably need it)

10. I am named after my mom.  She goes by Becky.  I can't stand it when people call me that.  So, that's out there now, too.

Listen to this:
Fireproof by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

5 comments:

  1. #2 is so me. My sister got all that in the genetic Yahtzee. This was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine did, too!! I was so jealous of her growing up. Perhaps that's what drove me to running?

      Delete
  2. Thx for the shout out 😀 I am now trying to picture you as a cheerleader... 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really wish I had a picture for you. Keds, bobby socks, bangs, braces. Everything you can think related the tragic middle school years....I had it going on. Super cool.

      Delete
  3. Andrea and I read a lot of the same books; I actually found her after starting my blog (I post lots of book reviews) and did not realize, for the longest time, that she had any affiliation with Oiselle. I can totally see you as a cheerleader; you seem to be a great one now, when it comes to your team and kids. I love that you and your husband have found your respective duties in the kitchen; my husband and I are the exact opposite, and we each enjoy our roles. This is such a fun post! Thanks for sharing this and I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete