Friday, October 12, 2018

THE JOURNEY

"But of course the race itself is the smallest part of the story.  It is the journey that is important; the everyday, the day in, day out. Start and finish lines are just steps on that journey. The prize is not a position, or a time; instead the getting to know myself, the work and the training must be its own reward." 
~ Lizzy Hawker, 5-time UTMB winner


So next Sunday, October 21st, assuming I don't try any new gymnastics moves or run into any random doors, I'll be lining up for my 22nd marathon, the Baystate in Lowell, MA.  I'm pretty excited for this one for several reasons.  First, it's in my neck of the woods.  It's been a long time since I haven't had to travel via plane or a very long car ride for a marathon, a process that can be both stressful and exhausting.  Second, the weekend and race day logistics will likely be pretty manageable for a change.  I get to sleep in my own bed the night before, eat my own food all weekend, make my pre-race coffee the way I like it; basically many of the variables that can often be a question mark will, for the most part, be under my control.  And finally, I am coming full circle on this one.  Baystate was my first marathon back in 2007.  As far as marathoning goes, I was as green as Kermit.  I took very little fluids during the race, I didn't know what gels were and I'm not even sure I did a 20 miler beforehand.  Needless to say, the final eight miles were excruciating.  Despite the fact that it was eleven years ago, I remember that feeling of "bonking" and then the proverbial wheels falling off like it was yesterday.  I won't deny that anything can happen on race day, but I have to believe this time around will be a little different from my first rodeo.  Knock on wood.  I always train hard for each marathon that I tackle.  Most of us do.  But I definitely took it to a new level for this one.  More miles than ever.  Multiple double sessions every week.  Tougher and longer workouts.  You name it, my coach threw it at me.  Funny story, back on June 8th. I noticed the shift and sent him an email about it:

Hey Lowell,
Just curious....if we're already at 70 miles per week in June, where are we going to be in September??  Not that I'm not up for it.  But still. :)
Thx,
R

His response was this:

Rebecca,
It wasn't so long ago that you came to me peaking at 50mpw and a long 
run of 21 miles.  Despite some injury concerns over the years, for the 
most part you have handled a steady gradual increase in volume.  There 
is work to do and as long as you have time and the physical ability to 
tolerate the miles, I want to continue to nudge them up.  You good with 
that?
~ Lowell

Translation, trust me.  And, yes, we're doing this.  Perhaps he thought it best not to mention how far he planned to take my mileage at that point.  Probably a good call.  I had to laugh a little.  To be honest, though, at the time I wasn't sure if I would be able to get through it.  I did have some bleeps on the radar; some plantar fasciitis flare ups over the summer, a pulled hamstring and a few other, smaller but notable physical and mental hurdles.  But for the most part, I've made it to the end.  I have a little over a week to go.  The hay, as they say, is in the barn.  My friend Clarissa, also a marathoner and a total badass, posted the quote from the top on Instagram about a year ago.  I took a screenshot of it and save it in my photos.  It really resonated with me back then.  But it is hitting home even more so now.  The journey, the training and all that is wrapped up in it, is truly what it's all about.  I know this now.  I thrive on the day to day.  Crave it, actually.  The race will be over.  But the story will never end.  New day.  New chapter.  Same story.

MARATHON 22: THE BREAKDOWN IN NUMBERS


Weeks in this training cycle: 25 (May-October)
Total miles run: 1,611.5
Months w/ mileage over 300: 3* 
*July-September. June was 299 but clearly I didn't care enough to run the extra one.
Number of 20+ mile runs: 9*
*should have been 10 but I stupidly attempted a handstand in August.
Races since May: 5 (2 x 13.1, 1 relay, 2 x 8K)
Number of times it has been hot, rainy and/or humid on workout days: 
I can't remember when it wasn't.
Pairs of running shoes I've gone through: 4
Playlists created: 8* 
*one for each race, one for summer, one for a friend & an epic dance mix 
Tubes of NUUN: 16* 
*saved them for my girls who used them for storage & arts & crafts projects
Ice cream cones: too many to count
Cups of coffee: same as above
Live music shows: 3
*Imagine Dragons, Grace Vanderwaal, Fitness
Successful Handstands: NONE

Listen to this:
It's Just The Start - Royal Teeth

3 comments:

  1. And just like that, it's time to race. Good luck, Trax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Evening, just came across your blog as I was searching for Running Music. I like your song selection - Royal Teeth.
    I recently saw Broken Social Scene in concert. Pretty cool show.

    ReplyDelete