Thursday, December 15, 2011

When It's Good to Have a Running Partner

Yesterday, I came down with a stomach bug in the afternoon which totally knocked me out for the rest of the day.  I had tickets to see Graffiti6, a fantastic alternative, funk band, for that night but I couldn't muster up the energy to make it happen.  I called my running partner, who was planning to go with me, and told her that not only was I bailing on the show, but that I was probably not going to meet her on Thursday for our workout, as we had discussed.  She understood on both counts.  I went to bed at 8:30 and hoped that whatever had gotten to me would be over by the next day.  When I woke up on this morning I felt pretty wiped, but otherwise, totally fine.  I had planned to take the day off, but after I dropped my kids at school, I decided I could use an easy run to help purge whatever had hit me the day before.  I checked in with my running partner before I headed out.  Here is how it played out:

RT: I think I might go to the Y and jump on the treadmill for an easy 4 and some stretching.  That's about all I have the energy for today.  What are you thinking?
KH: Well, I have my son home from school today and I'm feeling a little burnt out, so I might just take today off.  Plus, I don't think I can motivate to get us out the door in the next 10 minutes.
RT: Cool.  So, I will catch up with you tomorrow?
- at this point, I realize I have forgotten my iPod and decide to turn around.  No, I can't run without it, especially on a treadmill.
KH: So, are you already at the Y?
RT: Nope, I just turned around to get my iPod and I'm leaving home now.
KH: Hmmm.  Ok.  I think we can make it happen over here. We'll get out stuff together and meet you there for an easy workout.  Save me a treadmill.
RT: Sounds good.
- 10 minutes later we're on the treadmill, warming up.
KH: So, you're doing 3-4 easy?
RT: That was my plan, why? What are you thinking?
KH: Well, I was going to take it easy, but now that I'm here, I'm kind of fired up to try and do our original workout, so I think I might go for it. (she's smirking now)
RT: Crap.  Really? (eye roll)  Ok.  Maybe I'll give it a shot, too.  I think I might be able to pull it off.

And then we shifted gears and we were off.  Headphones on and rocking out, we ended up running together at various speeds for a total of 7 miles, pushing each other throughout the workout.  I ended up finding a hidden stash of energy that I didn't know I had.  It was a very satisfying run and I would not have even attempted it had I not had her there with me.  Halfway through the run, she looked at me and said, "this is when it's good to have a running partner." I could not have agreed more.  

Listen to this:
The Bones of You - Elbow   The Bones of You - The Seldom Seen Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment