Thursday, April 10, 2014

TAPERING (AGAIN): A TOP 10 LIST


For those of you who have been reading this blog for a while, you might recall that I get serious ants in my pants during taper time.  And, who doesn't, really?  On April 21st, I'll be running my 9th marathon in Boston and, as expected, the ants are in full force.  It's all good.  I've learned that it's just part of this crazy marathon process and I have to do my best to roll with it.  I will say that this particular taper feels a bit more intense than most.  This race has been on my mind in some way, shape or form for the entire year.  Last April, I watched the day unfold from St. Augustine, FL, where I was on a short vacation with my husband.  We did our best to enjoy the week-end but we found ourselves stopping and staring in horror every time we passed a television.  It was impossible not to.  At one point I looked at him, ready declare that I would be doing everything in my power to be on the line in Boston the next year and before I had a chance to speak he just nodded his head as if to say, "Yes.  I know, I get it." So, here we are, a year later, and now, especially during this taper period, the Boston marathon is all.....I...think...about.  Literally.  Okay, I'm also thinking about my family and my job, but you get the point.  This is the big Kahuna, the one I have been talking, writing, and thinking about for months, and I am so insanely thrilled to be a part of it, especially as a runner. Once again, I am trying to fill the extra time with some fun and/or interesting things that I don't typically get to do when I'm training.  Here's a few things I've come up with.  Any other suggestions, send them my way.

TOP 10 THINGS TO DO WHEN TAPERING FOR A MARATHON (AGAIN)

1. Grab coffee and/or lunch with friends whenever possible, particularly those I haven't seen in a while.
2. Go get my nails done.  I'm thinking blue and yellow?  Thoughts?


3. Watch all of the Oscar nominated movies from 2013.
4. Read the two books on my night stand:
5. Take some long walks in the woods with Lucy. (she's 12, so we go slow and steady)


6. Pack my kids and myself for our upcoming trip to Florida. (this will take all of about 4 minutes, maybe less....but it's something to do).
7. Shop for the Easter Bunny.  Mmmm.  Jelly beans.


8. Turn my 3rd floor bedroom, which is currently an American Girl doll oasis and fort for my kids, into a guest room for my in-laws. (not really fun and/or interesting, but has been on my "to-do" list for months)
9. Take some time to go back and listen to my non-purchased music.  Long overdue.
10. And last, but not least, spend some good, quality time with my girls.


Listen to this:
Big Deal - Dream Machines  

3 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you that you have some of the best music? Whenever I read your posts, more often than not, I add the track at the end of each post to my Spotify list of songs that I listen to on my way home after a long shift at the hospital. You are an amazing runner and when I graduate from school this fall (BSN, RN!!!!) I'm going to expand my running horizons....thanks to you!
    Keep it up....and rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Venessa, you just made my week. I can't tell you how cool it is to get a note like this. I always wonder if I'm reaching people through these stories or with my music. To know it's working make it so incredible worthwhile. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know. Hope we get to run together one day. ROCK ON!

      Delete
    2. And clearly I haven't had enough coffee yet to write this note. One more try:
      .....To know it's working makes it so incredibly worthwhile.

      Delete