Monday, February 8, 2016

BATTLE MUSIC

"There are no standards and no possible victories except the joy you are living while dancing your run."
~ Fred Rohe


I listen to music (all types) before I run, while I run and after I run.  I have playlists for my warm up, for speed work, for my long run, for my cool down, for hills, for core work, for days when I'm overtired and for days when I'm so amped up I don't know what to do with myself.   In the car, I listen to Sirius XM with my girls (Radio Disney, Pop2K).  My daughter Grace (age 8) can belt out Adele like nobody's business and Rosie (age 11) knows every single word to Flo Rida's rap in Good Feeling.  I'm not afraid to rock out with them, but I do listen to different music (Alt Nation, Sirius XMU, The Wave) when I'm driving by myself.  I listen to music when I'm waking up in the morning (The Coffee House, WERS), while I'm cooking (alt-country, chamber pop), while I'm cleaning (alt-rock, the Joint), while I'm reading (classical) while I'm helping the girls with their homework (Jazz), and while I'm walking the dog (anything goes).  On Monday, I dig deep into Spotify's playlist Discover Weekly, which is created by the Spotify magicians and is influenced by my personal profile.  For a very brief moment I am almost stupidly excited when I wake up on Monday.  Very brief.  At the end of the week, I get ridiculously fired up for New Music Friday, also the work of Spotify deejays.  I've been known to Shazam (is that an official verb yet?) songs in some pretty random places (a bus ride to an XC meet, the movie theatre, a restaurant, a baseball game).  Because if there's something playing and I like what I'm hearing I want to know it is.  I want to listen to it again.  And then I want to share it.  Just yesterday I stopped a gentleman in the parking lot at the YMCA who was driving out and asked him what he was listening to.  It was One In A Million by Da'Ville, in case you are wondering.  I suppose, in some ways, music is like a drug for me.  The more I listen, the more I want.  It gets me high, it mellows me out, it brings me joy and helps me get through pain.  Perhaps I depend on it to much.  But, the cool thing is, it's harmless, it's legal and it's available to everyone.  And I am more than happy to share, which is also legit.  When I race, my music plays multiple roles.  It motivates me, it distracts me, it calms me down, it makes me smile, and it makes me feisty.  A good song will help me take charge, dig in, and bring it home.  Some put on a uniform to head into battle.  Me?  I put on music.  My next major battle is this Sunday in LA.  Here's what I will be listening to.  ROCK. ON.

 RWM LA MARATHON PLAYLIST

Note: Photos up top of me dancing were taken by my daughter Rosie, who was embarrassed but agreed to do it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment