Back in 2012, I joined Oiselle because I'm a relatively competitive runner and I wanted to be a part of team. My passion for running and racing was becoming a big part of my life and I was seeking out a group of people who could relate and who potentially shared similar goals. At the time, we were a smallish group of about 50 women and my love for both the team and the company was instant. Over the past few years, the Oiselle team, now called the Volée, has expanded and changed quite a bit. There are over 1000 women on the team now and it is open to anyone out there regardless of pace, age, shape or size. It's different, yes, but it's also fabulous in a new way. And what I've come to realize is that my role on the team and my connection with my teammates has stayed strong and continued to grow regardless of the size of the team. Today, five years later, I still find that being a part of this "bad ass lady gang" continues to fulfill my needs; first and foremost as a runner, but even more so as a mom, coach and woman in general. My Oiselle teammates, both new and old, are some of my dearest friends. I don't see a lot of them as often as I'd like, but my connection with them remains tight despite this. The bottom line is this, when you join the Volée, you are joining a family, and regardless of whether you stay on the team or choose to move on, family is forever. Back in August, owner Sally Bergesen, wrote a blog post on why one might want to become a member of the Volée (link here). Her reasons make complete sense and I share a lot of them with her. But, I have quite a few of my own, as well. They may not be the reasons that drew me in, but they are undoubtedly the reasons that I continue to stay on year after year. And sure, some day I'll probably move on, we all will, but what we've created here has impacted my life in a way that words can't describe. And for that, I will be forever grateful. #wingsout
10 'OTHER' REASONS TO JOIN THE VOLÉE
1. You don't need new running clothes, particularly hoodies and other such casual items. But you want them. And you want to discuss this with others who feel the same way. My friend, Richarda (second from left), and I have an ongoing chat about it. Our categories are strongly thinking about it, need to see it on a friend first and no question, have to have it. You can guess which one we land on the most. (Jay Ericson, if you are reading this, I'm sorry.)
2. You like to laugh out loud every, single day, and more often than not, at nothing in particular. There are a few gals on the team who I can text at any given moment and, without fail, they will crack me up. Jungle Chicken, Nicole F., Richarda, Beth, Ashley....to name a few. But the list is long.
3. You have strange food cravings at 10 o'clock at night and want to discuss them with others. Not only will your teammates appreciate your situation but more often than not they have been there themselves.
4. You're not sure whether you should keep a new item of clothing, Oiselle or non-Oiselle alike, and want feedback from anyone who has an opinion, good or bad. Take the new sleeveless vest below, for example. A little random and while Kara Goucher can pull it off, I was doubtful. So, I threw it out there for others to decide. Even Kara herself chimed in on this one. For the record, I kept it. I know, shocker.
5. You love an impromptu girls night out, coffee date or dance party. I can pretty much drum up a group of three or four MA birds (there are 175 of us!!!) on any given night of the week for a burger and a beer. Actually, Dana (far right) and I prefer to share a bowl of gnocchi, but you get the gist.
6. You like to be reminded that you're a badass, that you can do it, whatever "it" may be, and that no matter what happens, you still f***ing rock, on a regular basis. Enough said.
7. You’re weird and a little crazy and you’re proud of it. This one really relates specifically to me. But I know there are others out there who feel the same way. Sasha Gollish and I made this connection instantly.
8. You're an avid couch surfer and/or you like opening your door to friends who do the same. Though Ashley and I prefer to share a bed. Always have.
9. You want your friends to reach their goals as much, if not more so, than you want to hit your own. Because there is truly nothing better than seeing those you love succeed.
10. Everywhere you go, you’re always looking for a wingman. As a member of the Oiselle team, you are 100% guaranteed to find one.
Running Away by Royal Foundry