Thursday, September 13, 2012

The AWOLNATION Experience

I'm afraid if I try and describe the experience I had last night I won't do it justice, but I'll give it a shot.  As I mentioned, my dear friend, LD, and I met in Hartford, CT to see AWOLNATON, a band that we both love.  We are moms (me of 2, her of 3), with multiple jobs and we tend to have more to do than hours in the day but Tuesday night we decided to put aside some of our responsibilities and just be music fans.  And it was truly incredible.  We were definitely the oldest at this show by a minimum of 10 years.  We actually thought this was pretty cool and gave ourselves a high five for our motivation and commitment.  We're also both relatively short so we weaseled our way up to the front, which we like to do in these smaller venues, and when AWOL came on we just let go and embraced the music.  This band has a way of bringing people together like no other band I've seen.  People from all walks of life were packed like sardines; pushing each other, leaning heavily on each other, lifting and carrying each other across the crowd (I decided I was way too old for that) and yet everyone seemed to be willing to roll with it because we all really wanted to be there.  It was like we were this crazy, tight-nit community that came together and bonded over this one passion that we share.  To me, this is one of the reasons why music is so incredible…it brings friends together, strangers together, and bands together with their fans like nothing else can.  And for three hours, speaking for myself here, I felt alive and totally free which is a feeling I often get when I'm running and helps to explain the main reason why running and music go hand and hand in my day to day life.  Two pieces of advice from this experience: 1. find a band you love and 2. go see them live.  Don't wait!  Go.

Listen to this:
Anything by AWOLNATION  Megalithic Symphony - AWOLNATION
&
At Home - Crystal Fighters   At Home - Star of Love

No comments:

Post a Comment