Tuesday, January 10, 2017

TOP 8 by JESSICA KANE

"Nothing connects to the moment like music."
~ Dau Voire


Back in December, the lovely Jessica Kane, who works with Sound Stage Direct, reached out to see if she could contribute a music-related piece to RWM.  Not surprisingly, I was both excited and intrigued.  She threw out several cool ideas and together we landed on this one.  Below you'll find Jessica's top eight picks for songs that will get you fired up and ready to fly.  I'm already lacing up.  I think you will be, too.  Listen, enjoy, and share as you will.  Thanks to Jessica for the killer playlist.

8 BEST SONGS FOR RUNNING OR WORKING OUT
by Jessica Kane

Whether hitting the gym or sprinting around the block, it pays to have a set of tunes to keep you energized and motivated. In fact, a 2014 study from Whitworth University suggests that both Mean and Peak Power levels increase when athletes listen to self-selected music.

Here are eight songs of various genres to get your blood pumping!

DMX - X Gon Give It to Ya (Dirty)
DMX often marries his uniquely gritty voice to forceful grooves and surprisingly inspiring lyrics. Even so, this song takes the cake. You may recognize it from Deadpool's ironic slow-mo walk; my workout playlist shan't go without it.

DJ Rekha - Akh Mastani
There are few genres as pulse-pounding as Indian bhangra, combining irresistible beats with compelling vocals and resonant string accompaniment. Akh Mastani never fails to push me to new heights of physical exertion.

Andrew W.K. - Take It Off
Though I'll be the first to admit that Andrew W.K. is not for everyone, there is no denying the explosive power behind his party anthems. Take It Off is one of my all-time favorite workout songs--the opening drop crackles with tension, building up to Andrew's throaty roar of "Take... It... Off!" At this point the beat takes off at a full sprint, with relentless bass, epic guitar chords, and Andrew's signature piano accompaniment. If any song can push you to crank out that extra burpee, it's this one.

Felix Laband - Red Handed
One can't go at 150% effort forever. Rather than high-octane, crash-through-the-wall energy, the masterful Felix Laband offers a subdued electronic journey that nevertheless carries effective pacing for exercise. I find this song ideal for running and biking, as it provides a few minutes of mental respite from the relentless thump of most workout songs while the pensive tone makes me look around and enjoy the scenery.

Tove Styrke - Even If I'm Loud It Doesn't Mean I'm Talking to You
This is a relentless little electro-pop number by Swedish sensation Tove Styrke. The beat and hooks are irresistible and the in-your-face lyrics are perfect for busting through your next set.

Bomba Estéreo - Fuego
This woman can rap! This song's sound is perfectly balanced between hardcore gangsta and pumpin' summer jam; there's just no way not to feel like an ultimate badass when the catchy chorus accompanies that glorious burn in your quads.

Phunk Junkeez - Move It
Without a doubt, the Phunk Junkeez have earned the "Phunk" part of their monicker. Combining funky beats with rock guitars and compelling rhymes, the Junkeez earn their spot on this list with this toe-tapping gem.

Caravan Palace - Lone Digger
With a killer beat, delicious vocals, and the irresistible groove of electro-swing, Lone Digger is a toe-tapping song that brings a touch of modern class to my workout playlist. I have been known to bust out a few roadside dance moves when this song comes up during my jogs--but can you really blame me?

May these songs liven up your exercise routine!



Jessica Kane is a music connoisseur and an avid record collector.  She currently writes for SoundStage Direct, her go-to place for all turntables and vinyl equipment, including Rock Vinyls.

2 comments:

  1. Such good songs!!! I have a ton of them on my list already! I look forward to seeing what you post with the Tunes Tuesday link up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this post was very interesting to read through. Actually I will start working out soon and I think music would be the most important thing to keep me geared up for intense workouts. This blog is way too inspirational and all these songs are fantastic. Also,I’m thinking to use decent SonicSole Running App that has wonderful playlist for workouts.

    ReplyDelete