Thursday, February 6, 2020

THIS IS....

"Instead of saying, I'm damaged, I'm broken
Say I'm healing, I'm rediscovering myself, I'm starting over."
~ Horacio Jones


Two weeks ago I was limping as I ran.  But I still ran.
This is denial.
On Friday, Jan 24th, I stopped mid-run, turned around and walked home.
This is acceptance.
On Sunday, Jan 26th I was supposed to race. I didn't.  The following Sunday, Feb 2nd, I was also supposed to race.  Again, I didn't.
This is reality.
For ten days I stayed off my foot and cross trained.
This is patience.
On Monday of this week, I tried my first run.  Four miles.  Not a step more.
This is caution.
On Tuesday, despite my successful run the day before, I did not run again but got back on a machine.
This is will.
On Wednesday, I ran again. Five miles. I so badly wanted to do more.
This is desire.
I have no idea when I'll race again.
This is okay.
‪Two weeks ago it hurt to walk.  This week I ran 9 miles.
This is progress.‬
Last fall I was doing my recovery runs comfortably around 8 minute pace. Today, 8 minute pace felt really hard. ‬
‪This is starting over.‬

Listen to this:
Run - Emika

No comments:

Post a Comment