Tuesday, December 29, 2020

2020 YEAR IN REVIEW


Dear RWM Readers,
As I went through and rounded up some of my more memorable moments from 2020, I couldn't help but appreciate the fact that some great stuff happened despite the overall shittiness of the year.  And then of course, there was all of the new music that came out.  Which, to our good fortune, is pretty much always a sure thing.  At the start of the year, I got to watch my daughter compete with her high school gymnastics team for the first time.  This was a totally new experience for her and I loved watching her grow as an athlete as she tackled some new challenges in the sport.  In February, I was lucky enough to get down to Atlanta to watch the Olympic marathon trials and hang with my Oiselle teammates before the world shut down due to Covid.  That was pretty amazing.  Then?  Well, school went remote for my girls, LHS spring track was canceled and I, if I'm being honest, I didn't have a hell of a lot else going on.  So, I started running.  Or, I should say, running more.  Like, a lot more.  First, I decided to try a 50K.  For fun.  And when that went well I figured I might as well go ahead with a 50 miler.  I did this one to raise funds for Team With a Vision, an organization that does so much to support those who are visually impaired; a group of individuals who's lives have become significantly more challenging due to the virus and all of the associated restrictions.  After that, my girls and I coasted through the summer, Rosie working and doing gymnastics and Grace, much to her dismay, not really doing much of anything.  I think her exact words at the end of the summer were, "Mom, if you ask me to go on another freaking hike with you I will literally lose my mind."  LOTS of mom and Grace time.  Clearly.  Once September rolled around the girls got back into a rhythm with school and sports and while everything was different they embraced whatever was offered to them as a welcome change from the summer doldrums.  Thankfully, I got to coach the Lex girls for a modified fall XC season and even though it was incredibly challenging and less than ideal from a logistics standpoint, we made it work and it was one hundred percent worth it.  In November, we enjoyed a quiet Thanksgiving with just the four of us for the first time in years and then Rosie turned 16, got her learner's permit and started driving.  So many emotions there.  Finally, I closed out the year with a crazy eight hour run challenge in some really tough weather; perhaps one of my most difficult races to date.  As far as next year goes?  Your guess is as good as mine.  I gotta believe there is a light at the end of this very long and dark tunnel for all of us.  For now, all I can do is hug my kids, send virtual love to the rest of my family and friends and hope for the best.  If you can believe it (I can't), this RWM blog has been going steady for ten years now.  I have found that sharing these stories, both my own and those of others, keeps me sane and somewhat grounded.  This year, especially.  So, I can't thank you enough for following along in whatever way that you do.  Here's to new beginnings and brighter days in 2021.  Happy New Year to all of you!

Rock on, 


RUNNING WITH MUSIC 2020

Watched Rosie compete for her high school gymnastics team
JANUARY ALBUM:ELBOW-GIANTS OF ALL SIZES
JANUARY SONG:HIGH - FITNESS

Went to the 2020 Olympic Marathon trials in Atlanta
FEBRUARY SONG:GREY - TWO FEET
FEBRUARY ALBUM:THIN MIND - WOLF PARADE

Started quarantine & Rosie started running w/ me for the first time ever
MARCH SONG:RUN - EMIKA
MARCH ALBUM:NO ONE ELSE CAN WEAR YOUR CROWN - OH WONDER

APRIL SONG:THE END - MISTERWIVES
ALBUM:HEALER - GROUPLOVE

Ran the Sugar Badger Virtual 50 Miler (for TeamWithAVision)
MAY SONG:NOW I'M IN IT - HAIM
MAY ALBUM:ANGEL MINERS & THE LIGHTENING RAIDERS - AWOLNATION

Got the hell out of Dodge with my girls (to the in-laws)
JUNE SONG:OKAY? - THE ROYAL FOUNDRY
JUNE ALBUM:WARNINGS - I BREAK HORSES

Ran many miles for the #RunWithRivs campaign
JULY SONG:BIG LOVE - LOUIS THE CHILD
JULY ALBUM:WOMEN IN MUSIC PTIII - HAIM

Spent some (more) quality time w/ the family up on the North Shore
AUGUST SONG:BEG - JIM OUMA
AUGUST ALBUM: RECOVER - THE NAKED & FAMOUS

Began our modified & very bizarre fall XC season at LHS
SEPTEMBER SONG:MY POWER - CHIKA
SEPTEMBER ALBUM:IMPLODING THE MIRAGE

Raced the Mine Falls 50K in NH
OCTOBER SONG:NOTE TO SELF - JIM-E STACK
OCTOBER ALBUM:FREE LOVE - SYLVAN ESSO

Rosie turned 16 and got her learner's permit. What??
NOVEMBER SONG:AIR I BREATH - SOPHIE BLAIR
NOVEMBER ALBUM:DREAMLAND - GLASS ANIMALS

'Raced' the Virtual Frosty Looper 8 Hour Challenge (48.75 miles)
DECEMBER SONG:SOLID GOLD - SHEPPARD
DECEMBER ALBUM:HARK! - ANDREW BIRD


2020 DAILY SONGS

2 comments:

  1. Combating ten years! The right hour challenge is also something to be extremely proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete