Wednesday, April 6, 2022

IT'S YOUR TIME

"It's not your time that makes you 
who you are
It's the time spent doing the things
that you love"
~ Kendall Thompson, 'It's Your Time'


I've met a lot of incredible people through running.  People of all ages and from all walks of the earth.  In the running world, more often than not, it feels as though you can bump into someone out on the road or at a race, at most running-related events really, and regardless of the fact that they started off as a total stranger within an hour or three you've become fast friends and will likely stay in touch for life.  Such was the case for me with Jackie.  

You may recognize the name as she's been in many of these posts.  We met back in 2017 at a Oiselle race meet up in Phoenix, AZ of all places.  We spent one day together.  One.  And she is now like a sister to me.  If only it were this easy with everyone, right?  Anyway, Jackie has a training partner named Kendall who I've never met in person but I feel like I've known for years.  We've connected on the phone, on social media; we've even face-timed as Jackie usually fills him in on all the race details when she's here for Boston events.  Which, to my good fortune, is often.  To be honest, I probably touch base with Kendall more frequently than Jackie as she is rarely on social media and Kendall is always good for a supportive comment or a cheer on one of my posts.  Which brings me to the point.  Once in a while a person reaches out and touches you in a way that sends shivers down your spine.  When it's someone you know, well that's lovely.  But when it's someone who you've never met or don't know very well, like Kendall, and they create the same impact, well that's just beyond cool.  Surreal, almost.  On Sunday, barring any major disasters, I'll be lining up for my 28th marathon.  The road to get to this point has been tricky with lots of ups and downs.  It often is for a lot of us.  But this particular training cycle has been tougher than most for me.  I have a goal time in mind.  And that is an important piece of the story.  But there's another part of the story.  A bigger part.  In his own words, Kendall reminded me that it's not my actual time that matters most but the time I spend doing all the things I love, both running and non, that fuels the fire.  That time makes me who I am.  Not my time on race day.  Again, chills.  I've met a lot of incredible people through running.    

It’s your time

It is your time, and that’s important
The time that’s spent living, in 
laughter, and in love

It’s not your time that makes you 
who you are
It’s the time spent doing the things 
that you love

Your time, that you give to your 
athletes, as you coach them to their 
victories

Your time, that you give, to family 
and friends, as they make it 
through joys, and miseries

Know it’s your time that is most 
important
Your time is not as important as that

It’s your time to live, laugh, and, to 
love
Your time is important and that is a 
fact!

Written by Kendall Thompson
04-05-2022
Thinking of Trax

Listen to this:
The Best Part - Bien & gardentstate

No comments:

Post a Comment