Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fanfarlo

Monday night I had the pleasure of seeing Fanfarlo, a London-based indie/pop/folk (yes, all of them) band, in Boston.  Week nights are not an easy night to get out for a mother who typically goes to bed at 9:30 and wakes up at 5:45, but occasionally it has to be done.  I also dragged my friends out with me who may not got to bed as early as I do but have three kids each to deal with in the morning, so I was hoping that this would be worth their efforts as well.  Fortunately, these guys did not disappoint.  Their first album, Resevoir, is one of my favorites and has become a staple for both listening and running.  Monday night they played quite a few songs from their new album, Rooms Filled With Light, which was just released in February.  Their overall sound is unique, unlike anything I've heard lately, and I think a lot of that has to do with both the variety and their creative use of so many different instruments.  This new album takes their music in a new direction, but their distinctive marks, including the blend of multiple horns, Cathy Lucas' violin, that often sounds like another horn, and Simon Balthazar's unique voice, help to carry them down this new path successfully.  The songs tend to start with a simple flow and then steadily build up to a level that is texturally complex and musically rich.  While listening, I was easily hooked in and found myself, as if reading book, eagerly waiting to see what was going to happen.  It was a fantastic show and if you haven't heard of them or listened to them in depth, I highly recommend taking some time to explore.  And, again, if you haven't been to live music in a while, make it a priority.  It's so incredibly worth it.

Listen to this:
FANFARLO
The Walls Are Coming Down - Resevoir  The Walls Are Coming Down - Reservoir
Feathers - Rooms Filled With Light  Feathers - Rooms Filled With Light
Dig - Rooms Filled With Light   Dig - Rooms Filled With Light

No comments:

Post a Comment