Monday, December 17, 2012

Memories & Cracks

Every week I post about running...why I love it, why I don't love it and everything in between.  Often, my posts include stories about my children and how they tend to make my life crazy and sometimes difficult.  I tend to add bits of sarcasm and humor in my writing so others can appreciate and relate to some of the craziness that is my life as a mother and a runner.  But, I realize, now more than ever, in the grand scheme of things, my life is relatively simple.  And today as I write, I think back on all of these stories and realize that after living through them and sharing them with others, they all have been etched in my mind and that over time, as I remember them, they often make me smile.  I understand now more than ever how incredibly lucky I am to have these memories and I will remind myself daily not to take this for granted.

On another note, this morning, my five year old daughter called me from her room when she woke up.  Here's what we talked about:
Grace: Mom, come here I want to show you something.
Me: What's that?
Grace: There is a crack in the ceiling.
Mom: Oh, yes, I see that.  You're not worried about it, are you?
Grace: Yes, it could start to break and the room could tumble down on me.
Me: Hmm. I see what you mean, but this house is strong and it would take a much bigger crack for that to happen.  I promise you're safe.
Grace: But caves are strong and they break.
Me: Caves?
Grace: Yes, caves.  Sometimes they break.
Me: Well, that's true.  But dad and I will do everything we can to keep your room from breaking.  He can patch that crack up for you and we'll triple check to make sure it's not going to split.  We will make sure nothing happens and that you are safe.  Does that make you feel better?
Grace: For now, I guess.

She had no idea how hard her words struck me after the tragedy that took place in Sandy Hook on Friday.  Of course, I wish I could seal up all the cracks and keep her inside the house where it is safe.  But it doesn't work this way.  As a mother, all I can do is offer this kind of comfort to her on a regular basis and hope that she feels my support in everything that she does when she isn't with me.  Beyond that, I can only hope.

Listen to this:
Messages - Xavier Rudd    Messages - Food In the Belly

"You know some people they just won't understand
 no I just won't understand
 These things
 Thank you for your message but I don't understand
 no I just won't understand
 These things"

No comments:

Post a Comment