Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Rock & Run

This is how I feel...
(but, clearly, not how I look)
A little over a week ago I ran a 5K.  I pushed really hard and was fighting a cold at the same time so as a result I was completely down for the count the next week.  Since I started running again everything has been a bit off.  Nothing is flowing, my legs feel heavy and my feet don't want to go.  If I wasn't training for a February marathon I would just write these past few days off, take a break over Christmas and re-start in the new year.  This, unfortunately, is not an option.  So, I have continued to plow through, one heavy step at a time.  Today, I assumed, would be no different, so this morning I added a few new songs to my playlist hoping to drum up a little extra motivation and to tap into some of my dormant energy reserves.  Whatever it takes.  I was cruising along and I suddenly noticed a policeman at a construction site across the street staring and sort of waving his hands at me.  I wasn't sure what he was doing so I turned down my music and shuffled over.  He met me halfway and asked me if everything was okay.  Hmmm, I thought.  I'm tired and I feel slow, but  I didn't think it was that obvious.  I said, "I'm fine, why?"  Then he gave me a funny look and said something along the lines of,  "from where I was standing it looked like something was wrong.  You were waving your head back and forth and flailing your arms, so I thought you were hurt."  Ohhhh.  I chuckled to myself.  Actually, I had been dancing....and running....at the same time.  I guess it looks stranger than I thought.  "Nope, all good.  Thanks, though."  I said and I took off again.  For a brief moment I wondered if I should resist the urge to dance and run.  Then my neighbor drove by, honked and waved and I remembered that those who know me probably (hopefully) know what's going on.  For those who don't, well, I suppose it's okay to just keep them guessing.  And if it stirs up a few smiles and some laughter, that's not such a bad thing, either.  So I will continue to rock and run.  It's what I do.

Listen to this:
Run (I'm a Natural Disaster) - Gnarls Barkley   Run (I'm a Natural Disaster) - The Odd Couple

No comments:

Post a Comment