Monday, February 25, 2013

Listen, Obsess, Share, Repeat

MUSIC....

Recently, someone emailed me and asked me why the music on my blog isn't available to download for free.  He feels, he noted, as though we shouldn't have to pay for music.  First, I should say that we're all entitled to our own opinions and I'm not passing any judgement here. I wrote him back and explained that while I do love sharing music, I don't agree that music should be free.  A lot of the artists I dig up are relatively unknown and probably living on a shoe string budget in order to do what they love.  Bands like AWOLNATION, though far from unknown at this point, are still touring non-stop, living on a bus, and working their tails off to make it happen.  I don't think these guys have taken a break since I first saw them live (for free, I should note) in Boston in 2011.  Do they love it?  I'm guessing, they do.  But, I'm also guessing they don't get a lot of sleep and that they're not dining out at five-star restaurants every night.  Just a hunch.  One of my goals with this blog is to create some interest and enthusiasm for these artists with the hopes that, assuming you like them too, you'll spread the word and they'll continue to put out good music.  I realize that album sales are not necessarily how these artists make the big bucks, but still, it's a small part of the package that, in the end, keeps them going.  Several of the bands I write about (ie. Tegan & Sara, AWOLNATION, The Rebel Light, Five Knives) do offer up some of  their music for free on their own web sites or through music sites and/or blogs such as My Old Kentucky Blog, Gorilla vs. Bear & Stereogum - three of my personal favorites.  Undoubtedly, they realize the power of "word of mouth", so it is out there for the taking.  But, if I can support these guys in any way beyond simply writing about them, I'll do what I can.  Again, it's not going to make a huge impact on their careers, but maybe a few downloads from RWM readers will get them a well-deserved dinner out and a nice bottle of wine or two.  Maybe.  The deejay of SiriusXMU often shouts out, LISTEN, OBSESS, SHARE, REPEAT.  In a nutshell, this is kind of what it's all about for me.  And this, my friends, is what I will continue to do.

...AND MORE MUSIC

Listen to this:

No comments:

Post a Comment