Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Spring Fever

RUNNING...
TOP 5 REASONS TO GO RUNNING IN SPRING
(among so many others)

Tulips along my route in Medford, MA

1. THE WEATHER -  Whether you run or not, it doesn't get any better than this.  The days are longer, they tend to be warm (but not too hot) and the humidity hasn't set in yet.  Even when it's raining, it's warm enough that it doesn't matter.  You can get away with 1...ONE...O-N-E...yes, only one layer for the first time in months.  This tends to make you feel lighter and sometimes faster.  I like both of those things.

2. THE SCENERY - May flowers, baby.  And trees and bushes and...you get the idea. Everything is in full bloom.  Trees are green and lush and flowers are all over the place.  Allergies be damned, it's still incredible.

3. THE COMPANY - After being inside for 4 or 5 months of winter, most of us can not get outside fast enough.  I have friends who will only run when conditions are perfect (ie. 55 degrees, dry and partly cloudy).  Fortunately, we get a lot of those days in spring.  I can drag my fare weather running buddies out with me and I can probably even get them out more than once.  I can also get out with my kids.  I can get out with my high school track team.  Even non-runners will go running with me in the spring.  The running community is in full force (and significantly bigger).

4. THE MUSIC - New season, new music, new motivation.  Music always sounds better in the spring.  It's not being muffled by a wool hat or freezing gusts of wind.  You can finally take your hands out to turn up the volume on your listening device without having your fingers go numb.  And, thankfully, just when the winter playlists were starting to get old, a plethora of fresh, new albums are launched for our listening pleasure. (see below)

5. THE ICED COFFEE - Enough said.

Have you gone running outside yet this spring?  Grab a friend, throw on a t-shirt and shorts (we're all pale, don't sweat it), download some new music; whatever...just GO!

...AND MUSIC

Listen to these:


Cayucas - Bigfoot  Bigfoot - Cayucas 
(RWM May album of the month.  Brilliant)


Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito Mosquito (Deluxe Version) - Yeah Yeah Yeahs



Deep Purple - Now What  NOW What ?! - Deep Purple  
(No joke. Remember "Hush" from 1978? Go listen.)



Cold War Kids - Dear Miss Lonelyhearts  Dear Miss Lonelyhearts - Cold War Kids



Deerhunter - Monomania   Monomania - Deerhunter
(out May 7)


Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City  Modern Vampires of the City - Vampire Weekend
(out May 14)

2 comments:

  1. Just learned of your blog. It's fantastic! I'm a MA resident too but I've been too busy to run this spring. Run lots for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found us. Welcome to the RWM family. I will run lots and see you out there when you can swing it.
    All the best,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete