Sunday, August 18, 2013

Race Review:5K Run for Jabberwocky


On Saturday morning, I ran the 5th Annual Race for Jabberwocky in Katama, MA on Martha's Vineyard.  Camp Jabberwocky is an incredible organization that provides a residential vacation camp for people with disabilities.  Created over 50 years ago, the camp seeks to provide enrichment and recreational activities for those in need, both young and old, in a safe and supportive environment.  The organization leans heavily on its philosophy of volunteerism whenever possible.  Today, the volunteers were out in full force and their energy was tangible.  The scene was crazy, but they were all in deal mode; some helping with race logistics and others preparing the many campers who were going to participate.  The volunteers were easily as excited if not more than the campers and I was in awe of their enthusiasm.

Camp volunteers along with Jabberwocky
 Executive Director, Liza (right)
I love this race for several reasons.  First and foremost, it is unbelievably inspiring.  I am inspired by the campers.  I am inspired by the volunteers.  I am inspired by the people who are there to support their family and friends, many of whom are either members of or involved with Jabberwocky in some way.  The whole scene is incredibly moving and I love being a part of it, even as a non-involved, solo runner.  Second, it's held at the Farm Institute which is one of my favorite places on the island.  Third, the course is flat and beautiful.  And fourth, the race is walking distance from my parents' house so the logistics are cake for me.  But the best part of this race is the scene at the finish line.  The smiles are huge, the clapping is so loud you can't hear the person next to you and the support and love for the Jabberwocky campers who come through the line is in full force.  It makes you feel like everything is good and right in the world, if only for that brief moment in time.  And that, too, is amazing to be a part of.
A Jabbewocky volunteer and friend
running with a camper in to the finish.
Two Jabberwocky campers and a volunteer who
 have just come through the finish line together.
Personally, the race was not a good one for me.  I was tired going into it and I just couldn't muster up the energy I usually can on race day.  My time was one of my slowest in a while.  But, to be honest, I didn't really care.  Do I wish I'd had more in the tank?  Sure.  But, I didn't.  And truthfully, hanging out after the race, chatting with runners and volunteers, eating ice cream and watching all the finishers come in; that was as good if not better than finishing with a PR.  As I was leaving the farm to head home I looked to the right and this guy was staring at me.  If he could have, he might have said something like, "life is pretty damn good, eh Rebecca?"  I smiled.  And then, with gratitude, I ran home.



Listen to this:
The Way We Touch - WE ARE TWIN

No comments:

Post a Comment