Friday, April 25, 2014

MEET JOSH & 'WE WILL BE LIONS'

RUNNERS WHO ROCK


Today, I'm fired up to introduce you to Josh Martin, singer and keyboardist in the up and coming band, We Will Be Lions.  Josh recently reached out for a couple reasons.  First, he wanted to give me a heads up about the band itself and then more specifically, he asked if I'd like to hear their new single, "Burn Me Like A Disco", which is set to be released on June 17th of this year.  We Will Be Lions is a San Francisco based band and have described themselves as a "psychedelic glam-rock band inspired by the likes of David Bowie, The Flaming Lips, and Tame Impala."  As a music fan, I too, am inspired by the likes of those three musicians so, naturally, I was intrigued.  I took some time to listen to their debut EP, You Will Be Heroes, which was released back in March, and I totally dug it.   So, I wrote him back and let him know that I would, indeed, love to hear the 'Disco' single and that I'd be in touch closer to June to do a piece on the band and the song.  Then, on a whim, I asked if anyone in the band happened to be a runner.  His response..."Funny you should ask, I'm a fairly obsessive runner, just did my first marathon a few months ago at Quarry Lakes!"  Well, I'll be darned, I thought.  A rocker and a marathoner.  What are the chances?  That changed everything.  I have been itching to do a RWR piece on a musician who is inspired by both running and music and I had hit the nail on the head with Josh.  I sent him another note and asked him if I could profile him for this series and he jumped right on board.  So, without further ado, meet Josh....a rocker who runs.

GLAM ON: WE WILL BE LIONS

Name: Joshua James Martin
Where you're from: Occidental, California
Where you reside now: San Francisco
Age: 27
Job: Server at Cafe De La Presse and a musician
Web site: www.wewillbelions.com

RUNNING & MUSIC
What do you love most about running?
Running is synonymous with thinking in that its linear, individual, and creative.  It's a structured activity but it can take you anywhere, just like music.

What do you love most about music?
I love performing something that I created.  There's something extremely liberating about baring your soul to complete strangers.

Rocking out at Cafe du Nord

JOSH'S FAVORITES:
Band (current): The Flaming Lips
Band (all time): Neil Young
Album: Neil Young, 'After The Gold Rush'
Race Venue: I've only run one official race at Quarry Lakes in Concord, I liked the course
Music Venue: The Fillmore in SF
Race distance: Marathon, of course
Live show: The best show I've seen is the Flaming Lips and Tame Impala on Halloween at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, that was the night they became my favorite band.
Ice cream flavor: I would have to say Mint Chip



THIS OR THAT:
Salty or sweet: sweet and salty together
Live or recorded: definitely live
Coffee or tea: coffee
Summer or winter: summer





MORE MUSIC INFO:
Which band or artist would you go see tonight if you could? 
The Books
Which band or artist (no longer alive or playing together) would you go see tonight? The Beatles
Which band or artist would you like to have dinner with tonight if you could? Neil Young
Which band would you like to have playing alongside you during your next marathon? Fleetwood Mac

Top 5 Songs for running, dancing or both? 
Electric Feel - MGMT  
Apocalypse Dreams - Tame Impala  
Destroyer - The Music Lovers  
DLZ - TV On the Radio  
Uncertainty - Jaguar Ma 

Last 5 Songs you listened to today? 
Smells Like Content - The Books  
Repeat Pleasure - How to Dress Well  
The High Road - Broken Bells  
Cocoa Hooves - Glass Animals  
Venice - The Books  

2 comments:

  1. I want to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can check it out on my most recent blog post. I hope you have as much fun with it as I did!! If you don’t have time no worries!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! And I'm thrilled. Will get on it.

    ReplyDelete