Friday, January 30, 2015

RWR: MEET STEVE SCOTT OF ATC

"...music is my life.  I can't imagine a day without music."
~ Steve Scott


Today I'm psyched to introduce you Steve Scott from the band Air Traffic Controller.  Not only is Steve a multi-instrumentalist (lead guitar, keyboards & more) in the band but he's also a high school band director AND an avid runner.  Just...how??  Last summer, Air Traffic Controller released their then new single 'The House', a catchy ditty that I had on repeat for several weeks.  This past November I shot them a note asking if there were any plans for a new album to follow.  Their response:
-----> Recording new stuff in the coming weeks... New album in 2015 for sure.  
YES!!  Then, on a whim, I sent them another note asking if they have any runners in the crew.  Again, I got an quick and enthusiastic response about Steve Scott.  Turns out Steve is a big-time runner, often training while he's on tour, the Boston Marathon being one of his favorite races.  Naturally, I wanted to know more and asked if he might let me feature him in the RWR series.  Steve kindly agreed and somehow managed to find the time to answer all my questions despite his insanely busy schedule.  If you haven't yet heard of this band, I highly recommend you take some time to check them out.  Big things are ahead for them, I'm sure.  In the meantime, meet Steve, a runner who rocks.

RUNNERSWHOROCK: STEVE SCOTT

Name: Steve Scott
Where you're from: originally from Long Island, NY
Where you reside now: Allston, MA
Occupation: band director at Wellesley High School and multi-instrumentalist (guitar, keyboards, string arranging, backing vocals) for Air Traffic Controller
Blog/website:
airtrafficcontrollermusic.com
twitter.com/atcmusic
Facebook.com/atcmusic

RUNNING & MUSIC:
What do you love most about running? 
I think it's a combination of things I love about running.  I love running in scenic places like the Charles River, the Arnold Arboretum or the Fells Reservation and letting my mind slow down after a busy day.

What do you love most about music? 
It's hard for me to say what I love most about music -- music is my life. I can't imagine a day without music. It really is a sustenance for me.

Steve, far right, w/ the rest of the band

STEVE'S FAVORITES:
Band (current, all time or both): How to decide? Lately it has been Wilco, The National, First Aid Kit, DCFC, War on Drugs, PPL MVR…
Album (current, all time or both): Charles Mingus, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington…
Race venue: Boston Marathon
Music venue: The Sinclair in Harvard Sq.
Race distance: The race I've done most is a marathon. My current preferred is 10K or half-marathon.
Show you've seen live? Wilco on the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Tour
Ice cream flavor: Ben & Jerry's Late Night Snack




THIS OR THAT:
Sweet or salty: Salty
Live or recorded: Listening to recorded … playing live
Coffee or tea: Coffee
Summer or winter: Summer



The National

MORE MUSIC INFO:
Which band or artist would you go see tonight if you could? 
The National
Which band or artist (wait...but no longer alive or playing together) would you go see tonight if you could? XTC
Which band or artist would you like to have dinner with tonight if you could? Chris Walla
Which band or artist would you like to be playing alongside you during your next race (or long run)? Spoon

LAST ONE:
Today, I feel like….(ie. a rock star, I need more coffee, a million bucks):
Creative! My band Air Traffic Controller is in the studio today (now!) recording a new album… I just got off of the piano.

Top 5 Songs for running, dancing or both?*
We Come Running - Youngblood Hawke
Time Is Running Out - Muse
Keep the Car Running - Arcade Fire
Running - Delta Spirit
Trouble Comes Running - Spoon
* Note the 'running' theme here.  Very clever.

Last 5 Songs you listened to today?
Since I'm in the recording studio today, they are all new Air Traffic Controller songs.

Listen to these:
from NORDO - Air Traffic Controller  

No comments:

Post a Comment