Tuesday, January 6, 2015

THIS IS THE YEAR I

2015 (just in case)

I've never been one to make new year's resolutions.  Not because I think it's a bad idea.  I just tend to resolve to do something or not do something on a weekly basis, so I don't see making resolutions on January 1st as much different.  But, yesterday, as I was plodding along on my first longish run of the year, I gave the whole concept a little more thought.  A new year is, indeed, a big deal. Perhaps I should make some specific resolutions for 2015.  I ran for about an hour and a half, so I thought about it a lot.  Maybe a little too much.  When I got home, there was something about the the idea of it that wasn't working for me.  I looked up the meaning of "resolve" in the dictionary.  The first meaning is to settle or find a solution for something.  Okay, sure.  That makes sense.  But, it makes me think that I'm making resolutions so I can fix something.  I'm not wild about the way that sounds.  The next meaning is to decide firmly on a course of action.  Definitely better.  But it still doesn't capture the essence of the process to me.  A few hours later I was on Twitter and stumbled on Oiselle's 'Fast Friday' question from last week:

 "This is the year I ______."  (fill in the blank)

YES.  What an upbeat, positive way to spin it, don't you think?  It's not so much about the resolution, but about me and the year I want to have.  The possibilities are endless.  There is nothing to fix and no course of action to dictate.  I can add and change and add again.  It's my year and here's what I will do.  Giddy up.

2015 #theyeari

~ Push my body a little further than it's gone before.  I work hard.  Always have.  Over the past few years, I've seen my hard work come to fruition in ways I didn't think were possible.  So, I've decided, with my coach's guidance, to give a little bit more this year; to see if my body will let me take it there.  And to see what I have left to give.  I'm really freakin' fired up.
~ Ask for help.  From my husband, from my coach, from my family, from my friends.  I often hesitate to do this and more often than not they are all ready and willing.
~ Be more patient with my kids.  No need to explain this one.
~ Stop sweating the small stuff.  In the long run, it's not worth it and it doesn't do anyone any good.
~ Eat less food from a box and/or bag.  I have a major weakness for crackers and/or chip items.  Basically, anything that's a vehicle for salt.
~ Do more planks.  The core could use a little more attention this year.
~ Be more present.  Spend less time on my phone, computer, etc.  I can hear my friend KH laughing from afar.  I do tend to text and compute often.  But, for the record, this blog post has taken me forever to write because I've been putting my family and all of their needs and goings on before it.  And that's a good thing.  Baby steps.
~ Work to be a better and more confident coach.  Every year I take a step in this direction.  But, there is still so much to learn and so many people to learn from, including the athletes themselves.  I want this for me, sure, but more for my runners so I can take them where I know they want to go.
~ Go see more live music.  Music makes me feel happy and alive.  Enough said.
~ Try to pay someone a compliment every single day.  Cheesy, I know.  But, I recently saw the impact that a quick compliment had on a kid up at Cannon Mountain.  He is training to be an instructor for the Adaptive Sports program and his teacher came over to tell him that he'd done an awesome job so far.  A huge ear to ear grin spread across his face.  I'm sure his day was made after that.  I didn't even know him and I was psyched for him.  So, I congratulated him, too, and then headed off in a really good mood.  Just imagine that ripple effect.
~ Embrace my age and defy it.  I'm turning 40 on February 12.  But, age is just a number.  Bring it on.
~ Slow the hell down.  I find myself rushing often.  My girls and I rush to get ready for school.  I rush around the grocery store, I rush home so I can get a run in, I rush around town to get my errands done.  You get the picture.  Sometimes, it's necessary.  Often, it's not and once and a while, a few minor changes can be made so the process takes less time.  This one might take a while.

New year.  My year.  I will.  Let's ride.

Listen to this:
Until You Find Me - TeamMate  

2 comments:

  1. Some EXCELLENT words to live by this year! I love the feeling of a new year, or even a new Monday/week! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Cape Cod Runner!!! Hopefully many of my 2015 miles will be with you and our MA crew. Happy 2015!

      Delete