Monday, March 18, 2013

The Mad Mind of a Runner

RUNNING...



Without getting into too much detail up front, I thought it would be fun to share my thought process in regards to running since my recent marathon (starting during the race itself).  I'm sure you can guess how it unfolds.  To be honest, I wrote this post for a few reasons.  First, hopefully it's somewhat entertaining.  Second, to call a spade a spade.  Because, really, who the hell did I think I was fooling with these initial sentiments?  And finally, so after my next race I can give myself a kick in the shin when this ridiculous thought process repeats itself.  Enjoy!

Saturday, March 2nd, 8:00AM (an hour into the marathon)
~ Ok, I'm feeling good.  I think this pace will work.  My legs are feeling strong.  Yeah, I've got this.  I LOVE this.

Saturday, March 2nd, 10:00AM (about 3hrs into the marathon)
~ I hate this.  Why the hell do I do this to myself?  I am never running another one of these things. EVER.  

Saturday, March 2nd, 11:00AM (marathon complete)
~ SWEET PETE! That was f*&%ing hard.  I am so thrilled that I ran a personal best.  But I am SO done with marathons.  I mean, I really feel like I don't need to ever do another one of these suckers and I'll be okay with that. No, for real. I mean it.

Sunday, March 3rd, 7:00AM
~ Man, I'm tired.  BUT, my legs feel surprisingly okay.  Must be because they are getting used to this marathon recovery process.  Not that I am EVER going to run another one, but if I did, it's good to know that my body can handle the wear and tear better than it used to.

Sunday, March 3rd, 9:00AM (on the plane, with my running partner)
~ So, I'm wondering if I planned better next time and didn't have to train through the Christmas holiday and February break, whether this would make a difference.  It was just so tricky to get all those quality workouts in when my kids had all that time off.  And I couldn't really focus on the running during those weeks, either.  Maybe if I train in the summer and run a fall marathon things would be different?  I'm just saying "if".

Monday, March 4th, 9:00AM
~ Ahhh, I love this feeling.  No pressure to run.  Plenty of time to catch up on all the stuff I haven't gotten done over the past couple weeks.  No need to worry about what I am eating and when.  I can even take a nap if I want to.  Oh, the sweet rewards of recovery.

Tuesday, March 5th, 9:00AM
~ I mean, I know I shouldn't really do much.  I wouldn't even CONSIDER running.  Would not. Consider. Running.  But some yoga might be good.  I could REALLY use the stretching.  Yea, that's exactly what I need.  Just a little movement and some stretching.  But, that's all.

Wednesday, March 6th, 9:00AM
~ Absolutely not going to run today.  But, maybe I'll reach out to the coach I'm going to work with this spring. I can just let him know what my goals are and give him a sense of where I'm starting from.  I'll tell him I'm DEFINITELY not planning to start any new training until April.  But, it can't hurt to just get the ball rolling so we're ready, right?

Thursday, March 7th, 9:00AM
~ What the hell am I going to do with myself today?  I need to do something.  Maybe a short run? No. Not yet.  Just chill out, Rebecca.  Go get a coffee.  Take Lucy for a walk.  Get out of the house and stop thinking about running.

---> Had the pleasant distraction of skiing with my family over the week-end.  THANK GOODNESS!

Monday, March 11th, 9:00AM
Good grief, Rebecca. Just shut up and go running.

Monday, March 11th, 9:00PM
~ Who am I kidding?  I can't wait 2 more weeks.  Time is a wasting.  MUST. GET. STARTED.  
Email sent that evening:
Dear Coach, I know I said April, but I have ants in my pants. Can we start sooner? PLEASE? I'm feeling ready.  Yes. Totally ready. Let's go! 

And this pretty much sums it up.


...AND MUSIC

Listen to this:
Welcome Home - Radical Face  Welcome Home - Ghost





No comments:

Post a Comment