Monday, January 27, 2014

Pass It On


When I dig around for new music, new meaning both new to me or newly released, I try and steer clear of the mainstream channels.  Whenever possible, I aim to unearth songs and bands that are off the beaten path, but that I think are worth a listen.  That said, I was more than thrilled that Daft Punk and Lordes took home grammy awards last night.  In my humble opinion, they are both pretty amazing.  And like their fellow musicians they, too, were once unknown.  So a big congrats to them.  Now back to my point.  Over the past couple weeks, I can't tell you how many times I've been listening to Spotify or Pandora and heard a band or song that has literally stopped me in my tracks.  My first thought tends to be, wow this is fantastic.  My second is usually, how is it possible that more people don't know about this music?  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure many of them have a solid following.  And their committed fans may not want these lesser known gems to be on the beaten path, so to speak.  But we can certainly spread the word in a grass roots manner to get more people listening, right?  Everyone needs to make a living.  I like to think that my efforts will help, if only a little.  This week, why not take a minute to spend some time listening to something new.  Listen while you're running.  While you're cooking.  While your driving.  While you're working.  Then listen again.  And if you still dig it, share it.  I'll start.  Here are the albums I've recently downloaded and spent some solid time with.  Pass it on.


LISTEN TO THESE:



Bright Moments - Natives






I Break Horses - Chiaroscuro 





NewVillager - NewVillager



Damien Jurado - Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment