Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Long Weekend


I love a good long week-end.  Thank you Martin, George, Abe, etc.  But, there are some drawbacks, too.  I can't go running on most Mondays that we have off due to the fact that my kids don't have school and my husband has to work.  I am programmed to run long on Mondays, both physically, and even more so mentally.  And when Monday rolls around and I can't lace up, I miss it.  It's not a complete freak out situation.  I do realize that not running is a pretty minor trade off for a mini-vacation and I don't sweat it too much. That said, when running is your (eh hmm) therapy, well, you know.  Another pro, though, is waking up and knowing it's a short week.  Oh how I love the short week.  First, you skip the regular Monday routine all together.  That's huge.  Then, everything is easier when Friday is that much closer.  It just is.  Take this morning, for example.  At 4:30, my 6 year old came into my room and wanted to discuss fairies, whether or not they are real and if they are, why she can't see them.  Not an easy one to answer, especially that early in the morning.  Two hours later, I headed downstairs, giddy for coffee, and ended up getting in a fight with my espresso machine.  On multiple levels.  First, I had to pick through my trash to find a missing part that I accidentally threw away last week.  That was not awesome.  After that didn't fix the problem, I had to start tinkering, unscrewing, poking and cleaning.  Normally, all of this would piss me off to no end and there would likely be some expletives involved.  But, not this morning.  I'm going to go out on a limb and give credit to the long week-end for my ability to deal.  Undoubtedly, I was a bit more relaxed than usual since I'd had the extra day off.  Then, on top of that, knowing I only have four more days of this morning routine, I was able to get myself through it without a total meltdown.  So, despite the cons, which are barely even cons when you break it down, it all works out pretty nicely in the end.  Long live the long week-end.

Listen to this:
Rich Doors - New Villager  

No comments:

Post a Comment