Sunday, June 15, 2014

STRONGER

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”
~ Friedrich Nietzsche


This past Thursday morning, I was powering...er, um, struggling...through 800 repeats on the track.  Six of them, to be precise.  Man, 800s are just so damn hard.  As I was gearing up for my last one, Kanye West's song, 'Stronger' came on.  It was exactly what I needed.  I turned up the volume and kicked it into high gear as I listened to him shout, "Na-na-na that that don't kill me can only make me stronger...".  I'm not gonna lie, there was some serious head bopping and hand gesturing going on during that last repeat.  Whatever works, eh?  Upon finishing the workout, I decided two things.  First, I was all sorts of fired up to go home and drum up a playlist compiled of songs about being strong, finding strength, holding on, never giving up, etc.  I do realize this is a bit dorky.  But playlists are such a simple pleasure of mine, so I don't really care.  Second, I decided that I want to get stronger.  Not just in running, although that is on the list.  But, in all areas of my life.  My older daughter is going into 4th grade this fall (holy crap).  I want to be a stronger, more understanding, more patient mom for her.  My sister is relocating her family to GA from CT and starting anew.  I want to be a stronger and more supportive sister for her.  My high school girls cross country team will be starting back up in August with almost 70 runners on the squad (again, holy crap).  I want to be a stronger, more knowledgable, more enthusiastic coach for them.  And finally, yes, I want to be a stronger runner.  Both physically and mentally.  I work hard and I need to trust that the effort I am putting in now will help me get where I want to be this fall.  I want to be more confident and know that I am capable of achieving what I have set out to do.  And the cool thing about all of this?  I'm convinced that by becoming stronger in just one of these areas, I will undoubtedly be gaining strength across the board.  So, who's with me?   Because there is strength in numbers, too.  High five.

STRONGER PLAYLIST

Stronger - Kanye West  
Stronger - Glee Cast Version 
Stronger - Britney Spears  
Strong - London Grammar  
Strong (ft. Miella) - Kid Massive & Alex Sayz  
Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Kelly Clarkson  
Stronger - Mary K. Blige  
Strength - The Alarm  
Strength - Zebrahead  
Strength, Courage & Wisdom - India.Arie  
The Strength to Go On - Rise against  
Not Giving In - Rudimental  
Never Look Back - Graffiti6  
Hold On (Sub Focus Remix) - RUSKO
Hold On (feat. Sampha) - SBTRKT  
Hold On - Alabama Shakes  
Hold On - NERVO  

Listen to this:
Stronger Than Ever (MJ Cole Remix) - Raleigh Ritchie  

A couple things about this playlist.  First, it is ALL over the map.  With the 'strong' theme in mind, I did my best to cast a wide net in regards to music genres.  While some of these songs are on my running playlist, there are others I've never heard before (ie. the band Zebrahead).  So, that said, take it with a grain of salt.  Second, I'd love to get your input and keep this playlist rolling.  I could have spent all day digging up additional songs, but I had places to go and things to do.  Plus, it's probably not healthy for me to be listening to music all day.  Or is it?  For real, if you've got some good 'strong' related ditties that you're willing to share, please do.  I'm all ears.  Rock on.  Be strong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment