Monday, July 14, 2014

RWR: MEET JARRETT of THE REBEL LIGHT


Back in 2012, I posted a brief review of The Rebel Light's then new single, Goodbye Serenade.  About a year later, band member Alan Steil got back in touch to give me a heads up about their new song Jukebox Dream; a breezy, retro gem that I picked for the August 2013 song of the month.  When I created the RWR series, these guys were one of the first bands to come to mind as a group I'd like to feature.  I had a sneaking suspicion that at least one of them was into running in some way, shape or form.  I reached out to Alan who got back to me in a flash letting me know that their guitarist, Jarrett, was an avid runner and would be fired up to be profiled.  I knew it!  I should mention here that though he no longer runs, Alan did run track back in high school and could clock a sub-5 minute mile his freshman year.  Not too shabby.  Jarrett wasn't sure he would fit the bill for RWR because while he does run, he doesn't find time to race.  I told him not to sweat it.  My intention for this series is to chat with those who are inspired by both music and running in any way and, thus, he was a perfect fit.  In his own words Jarrett told me;  "I am certainly not a competitive runner though one of these days I may actually get in gear and take on a race.  I'm more into running to escape and get some solitude!"  Amen to that.  Without further ado, meet Jarrett, a runner who rocks.

RWR: JARRETT STEIL

Name: Jarrett Steil
Where you're from: Montauk, New York
Where you reside now: Los Angeles
Occupation: Musician
Blog/website: http://therebellight.com/

RUNNING & MUSIC:
What do you love most about running? 
I love being out on my own, preferably in the mountains or woods getting some quiet time. I get to listen to music and have an hour or two of solitude!

What do you love most about music? 
I love how music can completely alter how you are feeling. Bring you up or down, make you happy or sad, calm or excited. It has the ability to move you and motivate you or just make you relax. In the right moment it is Euphoric.....there is nothing (for me) that can do the same.

THE BEATLES: ABBEY ROAD

JARRETT'S FAVORITES:
Band (current, all time or both): So tough. I don't really have favorites but I suppose one I return to a lot is Pink Floyd.
Album (current, all time or both): Same here but probably Abbey Road (The Beatles). Its amazing what you can do even when you can't stand being in the same room :)
Race venue: TBD
Music venue: LA-Troubador & NY- Irving Plaza
Race distance: Don't race but 10k for a good run!
Show you've seen live? I prefer seeing bands in small venues but for over all showmanship and an amazing career - U2's Vertigo Tour at the Izod Center....2005. Unbelievable.
Ice cream flavor: Mint Chocolate Chip



THIS OR THAT?
Sweet or salty: A little of both.
Live or recorded: Recorded.
Coffee or tea: Coffee, black please!
Summer or winter? Summer...I love snow but I like to travel to it!





Which band or artist would you go see tonight if you could? I usually get to see most of the bands I'd like to but if I could really choose...I'd like to see U2 in a smaller venue. Couple thousand maybe -  that would be amazing! Unlikely but amazing!

Which band or artist (wait...but no longer alive or playing together) would you go see tonight if you could? Pink Floyd

Which band or artist would you like to have dinner with tonight if you could? David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

Which band or artist would you like to be playing alongside you during your next race (or long run)? Arctic Monkeys

THE REBEL LIGHT

Top 5 Songs for running, dancing or both?
1. Anthony Gonzalez (M83) - Waking Up from the Oblivion soundtrack  
2. Kavinsky - Night Call  
3. St. Vincent - Prince Johnny  
4. Phantogram - Celebrating Nothing  
5. The Knife - Heartbeats  

Last 5 Songs you listened to today?
1. Villagers - Home  
2. Fanfarlo - Tunguska  
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr - If You Didn't See Me [Then You Weren't On The Dancefloor]  
4. Cherub - Doses & Mimosas  
5. Delta Spirit - Yamaha  

Listen to these:

No comments:

Post a Comment