Thursday, January 10, 2019

RWR:MEET SHANE FARIA

"I’m not just listening to the music, I’m in it."
~ Shane Faria 

Today I'm really excited to introduce you to friend and fellow coach, Shane Faria.  Shane and I met last spring; both of us coaching high school track over in Lexington.  I've been at Lex for a while now but it was Shane's first year with us and he came in quietly, watching and observing as opposed to guns blazing.  It's an approach that I always admire and respect because I find it's a bit harder to connect with the kids at first but then when the magic happens, it tends to be that much more meaningful.  Currently in grad school here in MA, Shane originally got into coaching as a stopgap between start-up jobs.  Not surprisingly, he fell in love with it immediately and now has decided to dedicate his future to both coaching and teaching English, the latter of which he'll plan to do at some point down the line.  Shortly after we met, Shane and I connected over music.  He might be the only person I know who spends as much time as I do and who dives in as deep, probably deeper, when it comes to this passion.  The really cool thing about Shane and his music choices is that he does not discriminate.  He loves a good pop song as much as a rough cut by Otis Redding.  It didn't take long for us to start trading favorites and suggestions; new stuff, old stuff and everything in between.  Since then my library and willingness to step into new musical territory, if you will, has expanded quite a bit.  The cool thing is that he's a 27 year old student and I'm a 43 year old Mom, so we grew up in different eras and are currently living in very different phases of our lives but our shared love of music seems to have bridged those gaps; definitely one of the many ways that music is so powerful.  I asked if I could profile Shane for several reasons.  First, he's a music fan.  Second, he's got to be one of the most positive people I've ever met.  Third, he's an incredible storyteller, though if you get to experience this you'll need to pull up a chair as they tend to run long.  And last, because he wishes he could bring back KC And The Sunshine Band.  If only.  Here he is, my friends, Shane Faria, a RUNNER WHO ROCKS.

RWR:MEET SHANE FARIA

Name: Shane Faria
Where you're from: Burlington, MA
Where you reside now: Burlington, MA
Age: 27
Occupation: Track Coach at Burlington High & Lexington High. Student-teacher (English) at Burlington High. MEd candidate (UMass Lowell ‘19)
Blog/website: twitter.com/shane_faria


w/ the LHS Outdoor Track Coaching Staff, 2018

ON RUNNING & MUSIC:
What do you love most about running? 
Speed.  I was a sprinter/jumper in high school and for a spell in college.  I just love going fast.  Back then, I loved the competition too.  I was always “undersized” (5’10”, 150lbs) compared to other sprinters, so it was nice surprising people and forcing them to know my name.  I’m not a big distance guy.  I like to go, go, go as fast as I can, while I can still do it.

What do you love most about music? 
Oh boy.  This is really hard to answer. Everything.  I’m all over the place with music.  I want to experience every human emotion as deeply as possible but to never let anything completely overwhelm me.  Often that happens through life experiences, but music is a great way of experiencing certain emotions in a way more low-risk environment.  I’m not just listening to the music, I’m in it. 


w/ RCG at NB Nationals

SHANE'S FAVORITES
Band (current, all time or both): Currently I’ve really been into Hop Along, a rock outfit from Philly. Historically, it’s hard to answer.  It really depends on the mood.  I’m not sure I have a clear cut favorite.
Album (current, all time or both): Astral Weeks - Van Morrison. This is clear cut all time. 
Race venue: The REGGIE.  Lots of long days and great accomplishments there.
Music venue: I like the Sinclair in Cambridge.  Great Scott in Allston is very intimate, if that’s what you’re looking for.  Back in high school and college it was mostly basements and backyards. Those are the real special shows for me. 
Race distance: 200m
Show you've seen live? I saw Leif Vollebekk live at the Middle East. There was a rock show playing downstairs and the sound was coming up through the floor.  Leif is a singer-songwriter and pretty low key.  He used the tempo/signature of the rock music downstairs to alter the tempo of his music for that setlist, so all these slower songs from the record were sped up.  It was really cool. He’s one of the most emotional artists I’ve ever seen.  Wears everything on his sleeve.  I appreciate that a lot.
Ice cream flavor:  I’m pretty simple.  Chocolate chip.  Salted caramel when I’m feeling funky. *note:I went w/ Salted caramel for the photo. Might as well go funk when there is a choice.





THIS OR THAT?
Sweet or salty? Salty, usually. Big pretzel guy.
Live or recorded? Live w/ video, usually
Coffee or tea? Coffee, black
Summer or winter? Summer, early & late





MORE MUSIC INFO:
Which band or artist would you go see tonight if you could? 
I’m feeling pretty energetic of late, so I’m gonna say The Dirty Nil. Pretty loud and fast. Rock n’ roll ain’t dead. 

Which band or artist (wait...but no longer alive or playing together) would you go see tonight if you could?
John Coltrane.  He was channeling some holy energy.  Maybe Sun Ra. I feel like I really missed out on those jazz days. It just feels so American. Jazz and baseball. That’s a nice combo. Also maybe KC & The Sunshine Band in their prime.  That’d be a blast.  Imagine a setlist going from “Boogie Shoes” to “Get Down Tonight” to “(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty” to “That’s The Way (I Like It)”?  And if I could go back in time, I’d love to have been able to experience the original Woodstock in ‘69.  Especially Joe Cocker.

Which band or artist would you like to have dinner with tonight if you could?
I’m gonna say Andrew WK.

Which band or artist would you like to be playing alongside you during your next race (or long run)?
In high school I used to always warm up to “Rush” by Talib Kweli.  Live rap is kinda funky to me, so in terms of a live band?  My mind is going to a pretty obscure group called 100 Onces.  It’s pretty in-your-face.  Great for a sprint.  “Abusey Junction” by KOKOROKO is my current long run song when I need a bit of a meditation.  I just throw that baby on repeat and keep the rhythm for my tempo.


KOKOROKO

LAST ONE: 
Today, I feel like....(fill in the blank):
Amped!  It’s a meet day.  It’s a “prove it” day for my athletes, and I’m excited to see what they can do.  There’s nothing better than watching a kid PR.  It’s objective progress and a reliable way to see the product of your hard work.  That’s especially important with the entire digital age of comparing yourself to everyone else’s highlight reel. 



Top 5 Songs for running, dancing or both? 
Junior Senior - “Move Your Feet”
Daft Punk - “One More Time”
Snoop Dogg ft. Pharrell - “Drop It Like It’s Hot”
Michael Jackson - “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”
Curtis Mayfield - “Move On Up”
*This is mostly dancing but probably both. 


Last 5 Songs you listened to today?
Tyler Childers - “Universal Sound”
Michael Rault - “I’ll Be There”
The 1975 - “Sincerity Is Scary”
Jason Isbell - “Relatively Easy”
Al Green - “What a Wonderful Thing Love Is”



Listen to this:
Move Your Feet - Junior Senior

No comments:

Post a Comment