Thursday, January 3, 2019

FIRST PAIR

🎶Hey, I put some new shoes on 
And suddenly everything is right🎶
~Paolo Nutini


Do you remember your first pair of running shoes?  I'm guessing Grace, who was two at the time the above photo was taken, probably doesn't.  But I happen to remember not only the shoes themselves but the details of our entire morning.  We had just finished a tumbling class and were in the car headed to our next activity.  Out of the blue, Grace asked me if she could get a pair of "fast shoes".  Naturally, I was more than happy to oblige.  Because everyone should have a pair of fast shoes.  So, we detoured to the shoe store.  When I opened the door, I have vivid memory of feeling like we had walked into Grace's favorite ice cream store; so many shoes in so many colors, all of them just amazing.  Grace's eyes were wide as saucers as she surveyed the choices.  How to choose???  She eventually picked the bright turquoise Saucony model off the shelf and immediately attempted to put it on her sweaty little foot.  I had to explain that the shoes she was seeing on the shelves were not the ones we actually tried on and took home.  That was confusing.  The guy finally brought out a pair from the back and a huge smile spread across her face.  Out of the box and onto her feet.  They fit perfectly.  No, she did not need socks.  Yes, she was going to wear them out of the store.  Happiness is.  Our plan had been to walk our dog, Lucy, in the woods after our gym class and she had been patiently waiting in the car while we'd shopped. As we left the store, I suggested that we run home and get Grace some clothes to throw over her leotard for our hike.  To which she responded, "BUT WHY?"  It clearly did not matter to her that she would be hiking in nothing but a leotard.  She just wanted to get there and start trying out her new "fast shoes".  She begged me to go straight to the trail.  And how could I blame her?  I knew exactly how she felt.  Not that I remember my first pair of running shoes.  But, I do remember my first pair of racing flats, which I bought my Junior year of high school and wore to practice simply because I could.  She ended up doing the entire two mile loop, no stops (that was a first); running, walking, skipping.  In the leotard.  Oh, and no socks.  And she loved every second of it.  It was magical for her.  And it was also magical for me to watch.  She eventually grew out of that pair and we ended up getting new ones, exactly the same model, but rainbow colored.  Those were awesome, too and I do remember that she loved them.  But neither the shoes or the experience of buying them would ever compare to that first time.  That was the best.

Listen to this:
People - LINES feat. Adele Kosman

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story and I love that you just went with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete