Thursday, July 11, 2013

Running, Candy, Whatever

RUNNING...
Chatham Candy Manor, Chatham, MA
Grace's idea of heaven & Mom's worst nightmare.
I hate to admit this but candy is to my 6 year old what running is to me.  If you ask her her favorite food....candy.  Dessert of choice...candy.  Her answer when I asked her to choose a password for the new ChoreMonster app we just downloaded...you guessed it...candy.  If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know that I am often negotiating with this candy-loving 6 year old on a regular basis.  She doesn't like transition and often struggles with separation from mom, especially if the activity she's heading to is new.  I know I might miss this when she's older, but it's not awesome at the moment.  This week, my in-laws have been dropping her off at the bus for camp as we all agree that she's less likely to break down with them than with me.  She's a savvy kid...the "meltdown" is not really worth it when mom isn't there to get upset.  The added bonus with this drop off system is that I can head out for a run at 8:15 instead of post drop-off at 9:45.  In this summer heat, getting an earlier start is huge.  This morning we had a typical Grace/mom negotiation session before she headed off in Papa's car.  Here's how it played out:

Mom: Okay, Grace.  Are you all set to go?
Grace: I want you to drop me off.
Mom: Come on, Grace.  Papa wants to take you.
Grace: But, I want you to take me.
Mom: I'd really like to head out for my run now.
Grace: You can go after.
Mom: It's really hot out, Grace.  It's much better for me to going earlier.
Grace: But...
Mom: Remember those candies we got last year, the ones that look like rocks?  After my run I'll go grab some for you guys to have for dessert tonight.  Sound good?

The famous candy rocks.
Grace: Why can't Nana and Papa get the rocks so you can drive me?
Mom: Sorry, Grace.  I can't ask Nana and Papa to drive to Brewster to get candy for you.  If you want the rocks, you need to go jump in the car and let me go.
Grace: Fine.  Just MAKE SURE you are there to pick me up this afternoon.  Promise?
Mom: Yes Grace. I promise.

I've been told never to bribe my kids with food.  So much for that.  Yes, I'm shameless.  But if all it takes is a few chocolate rocks to make Grace's transition smoother, so be it.  I like running.  Grace likes candy.  You do what you gotta do.

....AND MUSIC

Listen to this:
Better Days - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros  Better Days - Better Days - Single

* Note: Expected release date for this album 7/23.  Oh boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment