Tuesday, December 13, 2016

RWR:MEET KARA, MOM & PRO RUNNER

"Be unrelenting.  If you don't believe, then who will."
~ Kara Goucher


In just three shorts weeks we'll be wrapping up another year.  Totally nuts.  Here on RWM I wanted to go big and close things out with one last RUNNERSWHOROCK interview.  As you can imagine, I'm ridiculously excited that I get to do it with none other than the fierce and fabulous Kara Goucher.  It took multiple attempts to write this introduction because, as far as I'm concerned, it's virtually impossible to summarize this woman's achievements in a paragraph or two.  If you're a runner or you're interested in running in any way, you probably know of her and all that she's done on the track, the road and beyond.  Back in 2000, Kara began to blaze the trail, if you will, as a collegiate athlete at University of Colorado where both as an individual and along with her team, she took the NCAA title in cross country.  From there she became and continues to be one of the greatest American long distance runners of our time.  I won't give you all of her stats as there are just too many to list out, but I will highlight a few things that are worth sharing on the off chance you don't already know them.  In 2007 she represented the United States at the IAAF World Championships in Japan and took the bronze medal in the 10,000m, the first and only time an American (man or woman) has taken the podium in this distance at this specific event.  The following year she ran her first marathon in New York City taking third place with a smokin' time of two hours and twenty five minutes.  It was the fastest-ever American women's marathon debut and an American course record.  She then came right back the next spring and took the podium again in Boston.  Her third place finish marked the first time an American woman had been top three at the Boston Marathon in twenty five years.  Within this five year window she also competed for the United States at both the 2008 Beijing Olympics on the track and again in the 2012 Olympics in London in the marathon.  The list goes on and on and she's nowhere near finished.  But, personally, what I love about her the most is that despite her superstar status as a runner, she's a loving mom and a very down to earth gal.  I don't know her well, but I do know her enough to tell you that she's just a super cool person all around.  I had the pleasure of meeting her when she was in town for Boston back in 2014.  She lit up the room with her smile and while I was totally starstruck she was insanely kind and humble, pulling up a chair next to a group of us that she'd never met and joining us for dinner like it was just another day.  I've always known she was a big music fan, favoring pop tunes to get her motivated, but the fact that ABBA is one of her all time favorites is just the icing on the cake.  This woman rocks in so many ways and I'm thrilled to give you another small peak into her amazing life.  So, let's do this.  Meet Kara, a RUNNER WHO ROCKS.

RWR: KARA GOUCHER

Where you're from: Duluth, MN
Where you reside now: Boulder, CO
Age: 38
Occupation: Mom/professional athlete 
Blog/website: karagoucher.com

Racing (flying) at the 2016 Olympic trials in Los Angeles

RUNNING & MUSIC:
What do you love most about running? 
I love pushing my body to limits and finding out what I’m capable of.  But I also love the meditation and calmness it has brought to my often frazzled brain.
What do you love most about music? 
Music is a great outlet for me.  So many strong memories are tied to music for me, listening to my mom’s 45s as a kid.  I love the way it can give me such a strong emotion - sadness, happiness and everything in between.


Post race w/ son Colt & husband Adam Goucher

KARA'S FAVORITES:
Band: (current, all time or both) REM
Album: (current, all time or both) Currently Twenty One Pilots Blurryface 
Race venue: The streets of any city
Music venue: Red Rocks Amphitheatre
Race distance: Marathon
Show you've seen live: Dave Matthews Band
Ice cream flavor: Mint Chocolate Chip





THIS OR THAT?
Sweet or salty? Sweet
Live or recorded? Live
Coffee or tea? Coffee
Summer or winter?  Both-equally





MORE MUSIC INFO:
Which band or artist would you go see tonight if you could? Aerosmith
Which band or artist (wait...but no longer alive or playing together) would you go see tonight if you could? ABBA
Which band or artist would you like to have dinner with tonight if you could? Madonna
Which band or artist would you like to be playing alongside you during your next race (or long run)? Twenty One Pilots


ABBA

LAST ONE: 
Today, I feel like….(fill in the blank)
Crazy hopeful.  I’m coming back from an injury and I’m seeing real progress.



Top 5 Songs for running, dancing or both?
Dancing Queen - ABBA
Crazy in Love - Beyonce
Cheap Thrills - Sia
Paper Planes - M.I.A.
I Love It - Icona Pop

Last 5 Songs you listened to today?
24K Magic - Bruno Mars
So Baby Pull Me Closer - Dj Suparii
Starving - Hailee Steinfeld
Heathens - Twenty One Pilots
All I want for Christmas is you - Mariah Carey (this one maybe 20 times!)

8 comments:

  1. I always knew Kara and I were meant to be BFF. REM and twentyonepilots? She is such a motivator for me as a mom and a runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for my first marathon preparation and training i was listening Imitation of life, from REM, great to remember it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete