Monday, February 13, 2012

DONE?

Last week I let my four year old know that in March I will be coaching the same high school girls team that I worked with this past fall and that she is going to be picked up from school by a sitter three days a week.  This doesn't seem like a big deal except for the fact that she is overly attached to me at the moment and has a hard time with any type of separation.  It makes all of our activities extremely challenging.  I thought telling her now might help prepare her for the change to come so the shock wouldn't be as intense.  After I told her this, she stared at me for a few minutes; I could see the wheels were spinning.  Then she said, "you already did that, mom, why do they need the 'coacher person' again"?  So, I tried to explain that I wanted to continue to help them be stronger and better runners and to support them as they try to meet their goals.  Blank stare.  "So, when is the race?" she asked.  I told her that there will be lots of races since the season lasts three months and the girls will be running races every week.  I was pretty sure I wasn't getting through to her, but I kept trying.  The she asked, "so when will you be done with running?"  I smiled and gave her a hug.  "Hopefully, Grace, I will never be done with running".  And I thought to myself, 'sorry, kiddo, you can't fight this one'.

Listen to this:
Don't Let it Get to You - Rostam  Don’t Let It Get To You - Don’t Let It Get to You - Single

No comments:

Post a Comment