Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Ting Tings

Monday night my friends and I had the pleasure of seeing The Ting Tings at the Paradise in Boston.  Prior to this show, I knew them as that band that sings 'That's Not My Name', a popular hit I'd heard on the radio.  It's definitely a catchy song but, to me, not much more than that.  I'd also randomly seen them play as guests on Yo Gabba Gabba, a bizarre kid's show that my five year old enjoys.  To be honest, I wasn't really sure what to expect from them.  To my surprise, I was completely blown away.  This alternative pop/duo hails from London and is comprised of Jules Di Martino and Katie White.  Despite the fact that it's just the two of them, their volume and energy rivals that of a band of several more.  Her voice is high pitched and spastic, in an oddly good way, and when paired with his hypnotic drumbeats, their sound is incredibly powerful.  She's tiny and almost fairy-like but totally fierce.  Though slightly less showy, his presence was strong and just as intense as he supported her vocals on multiple levels and with various instruments.  The entire show was an adventure and it seemed as though most of us were thrilled to be along for the ride.  Some might say the only let down of the evening was that they only played for about an hour and a half.  For the five of us who all have kids and had to get up early the next day this was totally fine.  Yep, we're old, but we still love a good show.  As is often with music, the sound of their album, though solid, is nothing compared to what you get when you see them in person.  GO SEE LIVE MUSIC!

Listen to this:
The Ting Tings from Sounds from Nowheresville

Give it Back  Give It Back - Sounds from Nowheresville (Deluxe Edition)
&
Hang It Up Hang It Up - Sounds from Nowheresville


No comments:

Post a Comment