Friday, October 19, 2018

RWR:MEET BRIAN, DAD, RUNNER & WORLD RECORD HOLDER

"The person who gets the farthest is generally the person who is willing to do & dare."
~ Dale Carnegie


So, there is this guy.  His name is Brian.  Like me, he's married with kids.  Like me, he's trying to break three hours in the marathon.  Like me he works, parents and trains 24/7.  Unlike me he's a world record holder.  Also, unlike me, he doesn't eat sweets.  Oh, and there's one more thing, he happens to be a double amputee.  In his world, and mine, this doesn't seem to be an issue.  It's not a reason or an excuse.  It just is what it is.  I stumbled on Brian's Instagram account this year after he completed the Chicago Marathon, the race where he set his world record.  His grit and determination are immeasurable.  His dreams are big.  And his drive is going to take him to places most of us will never go.  I needed to know this guy.  I wanted to connect with him and learn more about his story, which is pretty mind blowing.  In his own words:

I am a double amputee distance runner.  I hold the world record in the marathon (3 hours 3 minutes 22 sec Chicago 2018) for double below the knee amputees.  Additionally, I am the overall fastest American amputee.  One of my big goals in running is to break 3 hours in the marathon.  I came close to the goal in Chicago but fell at mile 22 and sustained a concussion.  I will most certainly be making another attempt in the future. 

Music has always held a special place in my heart.  My family is full of Irish musicians.  My grandfather was an extremely well renowned Irish fiddler and he passed on his love of music to his children.  My father has played in various bands my entire life.  He is one of the most talented and passionate musicians I know.  Though I listen to many different kinds of music, both recorded and live, to this day I have not found any music more inspiring than listening to him play.  He is a true musical genius and can play any instrument that is handed to him.  His main instrument of choice is the Irish button accordion.  Though I have tried over the years to play various instruments, I have never had the innate talent of my father and in the end I prefer to listen to him play for hours on end.  His recordings take up endless amounts of hours of music on my phone.  Growing up listening to Irish music has left me with a deep love of the Irish genre and it will be something I always come back to.

Running.  Check.  Music.  Check.  Awesome.  Check and check.  This guy is the full package.  I am so excited to follow along as he continues to aim for his goal, which I have absolutely know doubt he will reach and eventually crush.  He is the first of all the people I've profiled here who doesn't eat ice cream.  Like, at all.  For no reason other than he just doesn't like sweets.  Just...crazy!  But then, he'd want to have dinner with Aerosmith and run a marathon with Metallica playing along, so he's clearly not totally nuts.  Kidding, of course.  Huge thanks to Brian for taking the time to share his story with me.  I wish him the best of luck as he continues down this path toward even more greatness.  So, here he is my friends; meet Brian Reynolds, a runner who rocks.

RWR:MEET BRIAN REYNOLDS

Name: Brian Reynolds
Where you're from: Boston MA
Where you reside now: Bloomfield NJ
Age (if you're ok sharing): 30
Occupation: Manager at the Sneaker Factory
Instagram: @brianreynoldsrunner *
*website will be up and running by next week

Brian & his family

ON RUNNING & MUSIC
What do you love most about running? 
Running is time for me to clear my head and meditate.  It helps me de-stress.  I love both the times where I can run in quiet solitude and the times where I run with friends.  Running has taught me discipline, perverseness, and determination.  It has shown me that I can be brave and tough when I need to push through rough patches in races and training.  Most importantly running has given me a freeing sensation that I did not think possible.  The first time I pulled on my running blades I felt like I was flying, even years later I still get that feeling every time I run.

What do you love most about music? 
Music has been a part of my life since a very young age.  With my father playing in bands my entire life, I spent much of the time in my formative years traveling to hear him play.  They are some of my fondest childhood memories and I still cherish the moments I get to hear him play now.  Now, as an adult, music still plays a large roll in my life.  I have wide and varied taste in music. I still spend lots of time listening to Irish music and hope that exposing my children to it will give them a love for it as well.  While running I often listen to Irish music, the meditative rhythm can carry me for hours as the miles slip away.  

at Chicago w/ Jim (aka @stanbluejay on IG)

BRIAN'S FAVORITES
Band (current, all time or both): Tara Hill Band & the Eagles
Album (current, all time or both): Metallica, Master of Puppets & Reload
Race venue: Chicago Marathon
Music venue: the local Irish bar
Race distance: depends on the month & my current mood. Right now I am sick of marathon training so the half is my favorite.
Show you've seen live? Aerosmith, although Metallica is my favorite so far.
Ice cream flavor? I do not eat ice cream.  Favorite post-race treat is watermelon. About the closest I come to dessert is Green and Blacks organic 85% dark chocolate. And after marathons usually beer is a big treat for me seeing as I don't drink any other time.


THIS OR THAT:
Sweet or salty? Neither really. If I had to choose I guess salty. I am not much of a sweets or candy person
Live or recorded? Live 
Coffee or tea? I have a strong Irish upbringing so most certainly Tea, and I have never had a single sip of coffee!
Summer or winter? I love both seasons and couldn't pick one over the other. Cold runs are just as much fun as sweltering runs!


MORE MUSIC INFO:
Which band or artist would you go see tonight if you could? The Eagles 
Which band or artist (wait...but no longer alive or playing together) would you go see tonight if you could? The Tara Hill Band. It was one of the bands my dad was in when I was a child. It also included my grandfather and 2 uncles. Their only cd remains my all time favorite album to this day
Which band or artist would you like to have dinner with tonight if you could? Aerosmith, I bet they all have some crazy and entertaining stories
Which band or artist would you like to be playing alongside you during your
next race (or long run)? Metallica, they all have so much energy. I think it would really give me the energy to grinding through the tough parts in the marathon!

METALLICA

LAST ONE:
Today, I feel like....(fill in the blank)
With 2 kids, full time work and full time training.... I always feel like I need more sleep!


Young Brian

Top 5 Songs for running, dancing or both: 
All running songs, I am not much of a dancer.
Better than You - Metallica
Give Me Fuel Give Me Fire - Metallica
Mi Mi Mi - Serebro
Rooftops - Lost Prophets
Danza Kuduro - Don Omar

Last 5 Songs you listened to today: 
Haven't had a chance to listen to anything today! All work and phone calls!






"The first time I pulled on my running blades I felt like I was flying, even years later I still get that feeling every time I run."
Brian Reynolds



Listen to this:
Mi Mi Mi - Serebro

No comments:

Post a Comment