Wednesday, December 26, 2018

2018 YEAR IN REVIEW


Dear RWM Readers,
It has been yet another year full of awesome, crazy, intense, good, bad, ugly, beautiful and everything in between.  In terms of running, I ran....well, I started four marathons and completed three.  I had my first DNF down in Virginia Beach.  That was rough.  I guided for William Greer at Boston, hands down the hardest race of my life.  That was insane.  And I finally, FINALLY, after nine attempts, three of them within just seconds, broke three hours in the marathon this past fall at Baystate.  I also ran my fastest half marathon time this past spring, so both my half and full PRs have been at the spritely age of 43.  That's right, my friends.  I hate to sound cliché, but I am still working hard to prove that age is just a number and I think I'm doing a pretty good job if I don't say so myself.  In life beyond running, both my girls had an amazing year as well.  Grace had a huge breakthrough this past winter up in NH on her ski team, finally finding her groove after a few years of frustration.  On the flip side, literally, Rosie had a tough spring, not hitting her goals in the gym and has come back this fall guns blazing and crushing it, earning her highest score on floor (9.725) this past December down in the Bahamas.  Man, was that fun to watch.  Grace also stepped it up a notch with soccer this fall and, despite her very small size, we saw a new, aggressive, feisty player out there on the field.  That was really fun to watch, too.  I am so ridiculously proud of them and all they have accomplished.  And last, but not least, my LHS track and XC teams completely blew it out of the water.  In the spring, I coached both the girls and boys distance teams.  I had about 40 athletes in my crew and every single one of them improved; several of them by quite a bit.  Many of the ladies broke 6 minutes in the mile and quite a few of the guys broke the 5 minute barrier.  Huge accomplishments for both groups.  Not that I would know anything about time barriers and breakthroughs.  In XC this past fall, the ladies took the Middlesex League Championship title back from their rivals, won the EMASS Divisional Championship and came in 6th in at the MA State Meet.  They were a force to be reckoned with all season and such a joy to coach.  So, yeah, all in, a pretty unbelievable year.  If next year is anything like this one, I'm doing something right.  Thanks again to all of you for following along on this crazy journey of mine.  I love writing about my experiences and hearing your thoughts and feedback along the way.  I hope that you, too, had a year worth talking about and/or celebrating and that you are as exited as I am for what's to come.  Enjoy the rest of your holiday season and I'll see you in 2019!
All the best,



RUNNING WITH MUSIC 2018

JANUARY
ALBUM:HOLLY - SLEIGH BELLS
SONG:OUT OF MY HEAD - LOUD FOREST

FEBRUARY
Grace takes it to the next level up in NH
ALBUM:CRITICAL EQUATION - DR. DOG
SONG:RUN - PRONOUN

MARCH
The Cheap Marathon, my 8th (unsuccessful) sub-3 attempt
ALBUM:HERE COME THE RUNTS - AWOLNATION
SONG:LOST SONG - NONONO

APRIL
ALBUM:NATURAL RATTLE - LAYUP
SONG:FOLLOW YOUR FIRE - KODALINE

MAY
LHS Spring Track Season #DSQUAD
ALBUM:DIRTY COMPUTER - JANELLE MONAE
SONG:MATINEE - REYNA

JUNE
ALBUM:WHOLE NEW LEVEL - LAYUP
SONG:NEW COMPASSION-HAERTS

JULY
Lake Winnepesaukee
ALBUM:MOVIN' ON - GIVERS
SONG:SHADES - THE KNOCKS

AUGUST
ALBUM:KARATE - FITNESS
SONG:HIYA - ELEPHANT HEART

SEPTEMBER
Fall XC Season (Clipper Relays)
ALBUM:I DON'T WANT - SANTIGOLD
SONG:EGO - NONONO

OCTOBER
ALBUM:YUYI - ERIN MCCARLEY
SONG:IT'S JUST THE START - ROYAL TEETH

NOVEMBER
Jewett family on Thanksgiving
ALBUM:ART OF DOUBT - METRIC
SONG:MOUNTAINS - SIA

DECEMBER
WGA Gold Team - 1st Place All Around
ALBUM:SOMEONE OUT THERE - RAE MORRIS
SONG:EVERYTHING GOES (WOW)-BROODS

Listen to this:
RWM DAILY SONGS 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment