Thursday, August 30, 2018

OISELLE BIRDCAMP 2018

"We are young, we run free
Stay up late, we don't sleep
Got our friends, got the night
We'll be alright"
~ Travie McCoy

As I mentioned in my last post, this past week-end I went down to PA for Oiselle Birdcamp.  I was ridiculously fired up about it, (think 5 year old on Christmas Eve) which always makes me a little worried because you never know how things are going to unfold.  But, not surprisingly, it did not disappoint.  I mean...throw 260 women who love to run and discuss all things running into one of the most beautiful settings on the east coast and what do you expect?  People often ask me what one does at running camp besides run.  It's a fair question.

A typical day for me looked like this:
7:00 Coffee. And breakfast.
8:30 Group run.
10:30 Masters Running breakout session. (for those of us over 40)
12:30 Lunch. And more coffee.
1:30 Behind the Flystyle (lead by Oiselle owner Sally Bergesen)
2:30 Breakout session with Pro Allie Kiefer, how she got here, where she wants to go.
4:00 Float in giant unicorn blow up with friends at the lake
6:30 Dinner
7:30 Q & A with Pros Lauren Fleshman, Kara Goucher & Allie Kiefer
9:00 S'mores by the fire
10:00 Bed

So, clearly we packed a lot into our days.  They weren't all this busy.  And there were a lot of other panels and breakout sessions available.  But this is the gist of it.  Really, when it comes down to it, it's probably not much different than a typical day for my 11 year old at her camp.  Including sleeping in a cabin and sharing a bathroom with a bunch of people that you've never met until they become your best friends and you cry when you say goodbye.

CABIN 2
(Photo credit:Lesko)

It's hard to put into words all that I got out of this experience.  But, I can honestly say that I am a changed, if not better, runner and person after having spent three days in this loving and insanely positive environment where all were welcome and anything went.  Some of the women on this team, many of whom I originally met through social media or at various races and team meet ups, are now my closest friends.  I don't see them often.  But the connection is almost more powerful because of that.  And I am one hundred percent sure that it will remain this way for many years.  Which is pretty magical when you think about it.  As I've done at every other Birdcamp I've attended, I picked up some pretty invaluable tips to take home with me.  Life lessons, if you will.  Which, of course, I want to share.  Please forgive me as I took so many notes that I'm not sure who said what on all of them.  A lot of them were from the Pros who spoke.  Some were from those who work at Oiselle, more specifically Sally herself.  And some were from my teammates.  If you're reading this and I'm sharing your words or advice here but didn't give you the credit, I'm sorry and, more importantly, thank you.  It's also worth mentioning that this team is open to women of all ages, sizes and colors.  Fast or slow.  Weekend warrior or ultra runner.  Doesn't matter.  Come one, come all.  Get in here.  We love you.  Head up.  Wings out.


TOP 10 THINGS I LEARNED AT OISELLE BIRDCAMP 


*Photo credit: Heather McWhirter

1. Women rise through sport.  This sport, running, represents the way we feel.  And what we choose to do with it is up to us.   ~ Sally Bergesen

w/ Holly, Jackie & Anna

2. Look in the mirror.  Love and respect what you see.  Do that every, single day.  For the rest of your life.  ~ Dr. Melody Moore

w/ Tracy, Chicken & Jana

3. Happiness is a direction.  Not a place.  Let yourself go there.  

*Photo credit: Beth Gillespie

4. Pain is not the enemy.  It is inevitable. A 6:30 mile hurts as much as an 8:30 mile.  You can push through.  You will be okay.  ~ Allie Kiefer

w/ Courtney, Jackie & Caityln
*Photo credit: Holly Batchelder

5. Get to the starting line.  Let go of all the questions and just believe in yourself.  Commit to the plan.  And then do it.  ~ Allie Kiefer

w/ Jungle Chicken

6. Despite what you may think, attempting a handstand or cartwheel at age 43 is NOT a good idea.  (Found this out the hard way.  I'm blaming Chicken)

Oiselle MA/RI Birds

7. You are not a failure when you fail.  It is better to risk failure than to risk nothing at all.  

Rainbow of fruit flavors.

8. Listen to your friends.  They always have your best interests at heart.  Especially when you don't.  (Thank you, Jackie)

w/ Fleshman & Heather

9. Stop apologizing all the GD time.  If you're not sorry, don't say it.  Stand by what you mean and don't make excuses for it.  ~ Lauren Fleshman

w/ Sally & Ashley
*Photo credit: Heather McWhirter

10. DO NOT attach your successes and failures in running to your worth as a person.   ~ Lauren Fleshman

*Photo credit: Heather McWhirter

**** And last, but definitely not least, never EVER stop dancing. ****

Listen to this:
Human Right - The Strike

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm here to testify of how i got my real estate business loan amount €560,000.00 from Prof. Cindy Alberto, I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan Ranging from $5,000.00USD to $2,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. This is a legit potential private loan services contacts us If you need a loan to pay bills by Email profcindyinvestments@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete