Thursday, March 14, 2019

DO IT NOW


This post is a bit different.  Not much to do with running or music.  But it's a story that I feel is worth sharing.  Because it applies to all of us.  And who knows, perhaps I can link it back to a running or music theme at the end.  Perhaps not.  Doesn't matter.  Here we go.  Last weekend, my husband and I went out to dinner up in New Hampshire.  We sat down at the bar next to an older couple who later introduced themselves as Al and Diane.  Eager to chat, they asked if we were from out of town.  We told them that we were.  They let us know that they were locals; clearly very proud of that fact, that they had retired up in in NH a few years back, built their dream home and were planning to spend the rest of their time up in the mountains.  Sounds pretty amazing, we told them.  They went on to tell us that they loved the restaurant we were in, that they came often and that they knew a lot of the staff and regulars.  It is a great place, we agreed, also one of our favorites.  Al then went on to describe the house they'd built.  His eyes got big as he described the movie room they put in because watching movies together is one of the things they love most.  We have big, comfortable chairs and a huge screen that makes Tom Brady look like he's in the room with you when he's playing, he said as he smiled.  We laughed and told him we'd be at their place for the next super bowl.  Then Diane explained that they really don't do much cooking at home.  That they make an effort to go out to lunch and dinner as often as possible because it is their way to meet up with friends and to stay social.  That makes sense, we said.  It's always good to get out and it's fun, so why not?  Let someone else do the cooking and cleaning, right?  Then Al started to talk, paused and started again.  You see, we're dealing with Alzheimers now.  And the medication that Diane is on, well it isn't curing her but at least it's slowing the process down.  The doctors told us to that we need to keep moving, to get out and do stuff as much as possible because it will keep her brain sharp and focused.  He paused again, his lips quivering a bit.  Which is exactly the opposite of what I thought I'd be doing at this point in my life.  He rubbed his eyes as tears started to flow.  I mean, I didn't sign up for this.  I'm 79 years old, you know?  I thought I'd be sitting around with my wife watching movies doing not much of anything, especially not socializing.  But, you never know, I guess.  You just don't know.  Jeff and I were speechless, listening, waiting, not sure what to do or say.  We'd never met these guys and yet we'd gone much deeper with them than we'd planned in terms of a restaurant conversation.  But, Al clearly needed to talk about it, to get this stuff off his chest.  So we were ready and willing to be there, if just for that moment only.  We told them we were so sorry, that we'd both had loved ones who'd suffered from the disease, both of them on their own when they'd been fighting through it.  But, thankfully, Al and Diane's case was different in that they had each other.  They have always been and continue to be so clearly smitten with each other.  And that alone is huge.  Al pulled himself together.  If I have any advice for you guys, it's this.  Don't wait.  I mean, not to sound cliche, but you have to live your lives to the fullest.  And you have to do it now.  Get out and do the things you've always wanted to do together.  Do it today.  Do it tomorrow.  Because who knows if and when you'll ever get to do them when you're older.  And trust me, you don't want to hold off only to realize you can't do it in the end.  Life is short and you can't take a single day for granted.  Not a single day.   We said our goodbyes.  I wanted to hug them.  I didn't.  But I really wanted to.  Not just to give them that feeling of love and support.  But also to thank them for the reminder that we shouldn't be waisting a single day of our lives.  That we should be taking advantage of all we can do at this stage in the game.  Because we can.


I always used to laugh at the 70 year old guy who bought the Porsche.  After talking to Al and Diane, my thinking has totally shifted.  Now, I'm like, don't wait until you're 70.  If you have the means and you want the freaking car, go get it.  That whole 'bucket list' thing?  I'm feeling like it needs to be a list next to your computer and you need to start checking off those boxes as soon as you can.  Maybe you've always wanted to run the Boston Marathon, to hike the Appalachian trail, to quit your job and buy a bookstore, to live in a Winnebago and follow the Rolling Stones.  Yes, they're still touring.  And, yes, you need to hurry on this one.  Whatever it is you've got in the back of your mind, bring it to the front burner.  If you can't stop thinking about it, ask yourself if you can make happen sooner rather than later.  Don't wait until it's too late.  I keep saying I want to go to more music festivals with Jeff, to run a marathon in another country (see, I did find a way to link it back to running and music), to take my kids to Africa so they can watch the sunset in one of the most beautiful places on earth.  So, if not now, when?  According to Al, it has to be now.  Carpe Diem.

Listen to this:
Where We Come Alive - Ruelle

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking these thoughts all the time lately. Dad (81) has Alzheimer's and my parents' traveling days are now over. I want to seize the day as much as I can! I just need to convince the wife...

    ReplyDelete