Friday, November 1, 2019

RACE REVIEW:THE LOCO MARATHON

"I love running and I will always run."
~ Haile Gebrselassie


As you may know, I ran the Chicago Marathon back on October 13th.  It went pretty well all things considered.  But, not as well as I'd hoped; primarily due to some stomach issues.  When I got back to MA and the dust had settled a bit I couldn't help but feel like I needed a do-over.  Not necessarily to run a PR but to use the summer training I still had under my belt in order to run a marathon without any major issues with the goal being to feel strong from start to finish.  After a couple days off... literally...2 days, I was super amped about racing and eager to line up again.  I've done this before; the quick turnaround using the same training cycle.  It doesn't work for everyone but I've had good luck with it.  So, my coach wasn't at all surprised when I told him I wanted to get after it again.  He was, however, a little surprised with my request to do it just two weeks post-Chicago as I've never turned it around that quickly for a second attempt.  We talked it through together.  Yes, I had pushed hard in Chicago but I'd had to pull back around mile 20 due to lack of fuel, so I'd given it about 97% instead of the full one hundred.  Because of this, we agreed, I hadn't totally tapped the well, if you will, and could potentially run the race I wanted despite the very short window of recovery.  I did think about waiting it out and trying again six to eight weeks later rather than two.  But, a number of factors were making this choice less ideal including the fact that I really needed to be focused on my cross country team for the month of November which is the final peak of their season and that traveling to another race, between the logistics and the financial strain, was less than ideal for my family.  I did some research and landed on the Loco marathon (funny, right?) which was taking place a quick one hour drive from home.  I'd even be back in time to watch my daughter's soccer game.  It was kind of perfect.  Done and done.  Hats off to my coach who both understands and accepts my crazy.  Hats off to my family, too.  They don't really get it but they do accept it.  Or, maybe they're just used to it.  The only issue potentially working against me was the weather as it was looking to be rainy, cold and windy on race day.  Lowell and I both agreed it was not worth a fight in a shitstorm and that I would pass if that's what I was up against.  The beauty here being that I could make a game day decision as the race was so small they were allowing race day registration.  So, I ran and watched and ran and watched all week.  And by the time I got to Friday, it was looking like the rain might hold off until the afternoon, so I got myself in the mindset that it was going to happen and I was really freaking pumped about it.


Okay, I don't look so pumped here.  But it was 4:45am and my coffee hadn't kicked in yet.  I had to hit the road super early on Sunday because I needed to get there in time to park, take a shuttle to the start and register.  The weather was still looking iffy so I'd decided that I would run the first loop of the two loop course and if things were getting really bad, I'd just bail out at the half.  


I'm all for a good omen, 41 being my favorite number of course, but still. When I arrived to register, the woman asked me what race I was doing.  I told her I wasn't sure but that I was signing up for the marathon.  She said she understood and guessed that several would be dropping down to the half as well.  At this point, I was revved up and eager to run the full so I was crossing my fingers and praying to the weather gods that things would hold off until I was done.  


Usually, I set everything I need out the night before, but this was such a last minute decision that I had just thrown everything in my backpack and hoped that I'd remembered it all.  After I'd finished with registration, I had a good hour to kill so I sat down at one of the tables in the hall that we were allowed to wait in and laid everything out there.  Not that it would have mattered if I'd forgotten something as I would have basically been screwed.  I guess I just wanted to know either way.  Fortunately, I was in good shape, even a little over-prepared with two sets of Jaybirds.  I chatted with other runners about what to wear or not to wear (no on the raincoat, yes on shorts) and about the conditions in general which had all of us a little on edge.  I also did my stretching inside as it was way to cold to warm up outside.  Not ideal, but no point in starting off frozen.  Finally, around 7:45, we all made our way outside and to the line.  


THE RACE:
About two minutes before we got going I looked up to see a guy looking my way as if he knew me.  It was a little awkward as I couldn't really see his face (yes, my prescription is out of date) and then he started walking toward me.  Then I laughed as I realized it was my former LHS athlete and now good buddy, Felix Cancre (far left, yellow poncho), who was there to get a fall marathon in because he hadn't done one in a while and wanted a updated time.  Felix and I have run many miles together over the years and I was totally psyched to see a familiar face before I headed into the unknown.  We wished each other good luck and at 8:00am we were off.  We were dealing with a very light drizzle but all things considered it wasn't too bad.  My goal was start off at 6:50 pace, run that through the half and then see what I had left for the second half, assuming I was going to run it.  From the get go I felt really good.  I settled right into pace, turned up my music and found my groove.  There were not a ton of people running this race but I had a small group around me and worked to stay near those who I could tell were holding a similar pace.  I can't tell you my splits because, unbeknownst to me at the time, my watch was not synched with my phone so I did not get my data afterwords.  But, just in looking at my time in the moment I knew I was right where I needed to be and the miles were rolling by quickly with no issues at all.  I gave a little sigh of relief once I'd cruised past mile 10 which is where I'd had to stop and use the bathroom in Chicago.  


The beginning of the course was gentle rollers and miles 10-13 on were on hard packed trail which was awesome.  I was running right behind a gentlemen, using his steps as a metronome and looking down at my feet to make sure I didn't hit a root or rock, many of which were marked with paint, which was great.  As we came off of the trail the guy I'd been following took a right to finish the half and I went left to finish the marathon.  I was a little sad to lose my guide and once I turned the corner I was totally by myself which was quite daunting.  The rain was now picking up and people were, as predicted, bowing out of the full.  But, I'd felt so good for the first half and knew I was running strong and had plenty in the tank for part two so I just went for it.  Thankfully, I knew the course at this point because there were several long stretches when I was solo and there were no water stations or spectators near me for miles at a time.  As I cruised along, I felt totally in control and was cautiously optimistic that I could run a decent time if not a PR if things continued to go well.  Miles 13-20 were solid, most clocking in between 6:45-50, which was right on target.  At mile 20, the rain was getting worse, but knowing I only had a 10K to go, I was okay with it.  Once I got back on the trail, though, things got a little dodgy as the dirt was turning to mud and I was having a harder time gaining purchase in some of the muddier areas.  This was a little disheartening as I was still feeling great, but could tell my pace was falling off a bit and there wasn't much I could do about it.  For a while, I thought I might be able to dip in under three hours if I was able to hold on, but as I got closer to the finish, I realized it was going to be tight.  Not that I gave up.  I fought tooth and nail until the very end and was excited to be the first woman across the finish line in three hours and one minute.  Close but no cigar.


So, yes, I was happy to have finished with a better time than I'd run in Chicago, if only by a minute.  But, at the same time, I couldn't help but wonder what I could have run if the stars had aligned for me two weeks earlier since I'd run almost the same time on tired legs and with no one around me.  My goal for Chicago had been 2:55 and I have to believe I would have been damn close to that if I'd had a good day.  Alas, we will never know.  I found Felix, who totally crushed it; easily taking the win with a time of two hours and thirty five minutes and we walked back into the banquet hall to put on dry clothes and collect our prizes.  I was freezing and soaked to the bone so it took me a while to change and get feeling in my fingers and toes again.  I collected a bag full of treats including an L.L. Bean gift card, some socks, a Paul Bunyan-esque hat, a pint glass, some chocolates, a pair of gloves, a book and a six pack of beer.  No complaints on any of that. 


Felix and I got a photo under the disco ball because....I mean...a disco ball, and, really, what the hell was going on?  It was comical.  And then we hopped on the shuttle that would take us back to our cars.  I was so ready to get home and get warm.  Before I took off, I texted Lowell and gave him the low down.  In so many words, I told him that I'd run well, was pleased, had felt strong from start to finish and had decided to go for it after the half.  Perhaps that wasn't the right decision, in regards to going for the PR, but I had wanted to try.  There is more in there, Rebecca, he said, and we will dig it out next time.  Now you need to take some time to recover.  So, I guess that means I won't be lining up for another marathon this year.  But you can be sure that I'll be raring to go come 2020 and Boston will be my next rodeo which I am totally thrilled about.  I honestly can not wait to give it another go.  But first....a little rest.  Just a little.

Listen to this:

2 comments: