Tuesday, April 11, 2023

WHIRLAWAY BOSTON BUILDUP

 "Success is best when it is shared."
~ Howard Schultz



My last Boston Marathon was in October of 2021.  It was the first time it was being held since Covid.  And it was the ninth time I was lining up for this race.  I trained very hard.  Maybe too hard.  Because the week leading up to the race my whole body was tired and I couldn't shake it off.  I was just not recovering enough.  And right when I started running I could tell that it wasn't going to be my day.  My legs were heavy from the first step and felt that way through the whole damn thing.  It is heartbreaking to work your ass off only to fall short.  We all know this.  And after finishing that specific Boston I thought I was done lining up in Hopkinton for good.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Boston marathon and the experience is usually pretty epic in the best way.  Except for 2018.  That was not fun.  Like at all.  But otherwise, it is almost always a blast no matter what state the body is in.  But, after 2021 I just felt like I'd had my fill of the Boston course and didn't need to tackle it again.  Like...ever.  In 2022, I ran a different spring marathon and then my family went away for spring break.  I had a slight pang of sadness and envy as my friends ran through the streets of Boston while I was in the Bahamas.  Very slight.  But my feelings on Boston remained the same.  I really didn't feel the urge to do it again.  Fast forward to December 2022.  


My teammates, Amy Bernard, Lauren Tilton and I, were meeting up for the Mill Cities Relay.  Always a fun event.  At some point during that day, perhaps as we were warming up or cooling down, or more likely as I was running my 9.7 mile leg and couldn't really voice my opinion one way or another, Amy casually suggested that we put a Masters (40+) team together for Boston 2023.  And then, also at some point during that day, Lauren pretty much confirmed she was in.  I can't remember if this was before or after she struggled to park her car.  Amy?  Sorry, I digress.  Anyway, as you'd predict, the plan was made and I was doing it whether I liked it or not.  The Whirlaway ladies would be tackling Boston 2023 together as a team.  Signed, sealed, delivered.  


And thus began our road to Boston.  Right after the holidays, the three of us, all coached by the great Ruben Sança of Lowell Running, would dive head first into one of the most grueling training cycles any of us have ever tackled.  Holy hell we did so many miles; most of them difficult and, thankfully, a lot of them together.  Long runs, marathon pace runs, tempo runs, hilly runs, marathon pace in our long runs, hills in our long runs, speed work in our long runs.  So. Many. Long. Runs.  We raced together twice; a 5k and a 15K.  We commiserated about running on our treadmills in the thick of winter (not that we aren't grateful to have them).  We complained about being tired.  We stressed about getting our work done.  But, if I'm being honest, across these past four months I have had a freaking blast.  And it is one hundred percent due to the fact that I have been training, suffering and celebrating with these amazing women who I am so lucky to call my friends.  I don't know how things are going to shake out for me next Monday.  Or for our team, for that matter.  But regardless of the outcome, it was a hell of a ride to get here.  So much love to both of you.  Let's do this.

Listen to this:
Take Me Back - Thunder Jackson (feat. Chet Faker)

No comments:

Post a Comment