|The Trachsel crew; just before the start of the race.|
|Rosie & Grace doing the runner's lunge.|
|Rosie and I in the first mile. Yep, she was skipping.|
Top 10 Comments from my 8 year old during the Town Day Road Race
1. Okay, this is a little different from my expectations.
~ she said this at about half a mile as we trudged up a hill in the blistering heat. I let her know that the heat was making it much harder than it usually is, which seemed to help a little.
2. Wow, there are a lot more hills in this than I wanted.
~ "Yea", I said, "we never really 'want' hills. But they are hard to avoid, especially in our town." Silence from her end and a slight eye roll.
3. How many more minutes now?
~ This was after the first mile, which we ran in about 11 minutes. I didn't have the heart to tell her we had another 20 minutes to go, so I said, "just a little while." Thankfully, she bought it.
4. I wish there was water for us and sprinklers to run in at each one of these houses that we're passing.
~ "Yea, that would be AWESOME." That's all I could offer on this one.
5. Hey mom, look at this leaf, it's heart shaped.
~ At this point she stopped and picked up the leaf and completely lost sight of the fact that she was in the middle of a race. I tried to gently remind her that we needed to keep going.
6. UGH!! More hills, mom?
~ "Yea, Rosie. Sorry about that."
7. I really wish I had brought music for this.
~ I nodded and told her I understood how that might help. Fortunately, I was carrying my iPhone so we played music out loud for the rest of the race.
8. I can't wait until this is over and I can tell my friends that I ran like 10,000 steps.
~ And you do that, hot shot. You've earned the bragging rights. (I thought this to myself)
9. I want to win so when we get to the finish line, you walk and I'll run. Okay?
~ Umm....okay. Sure. Go for it.
10. Is THAT the finish line?
~ "Take it home, girl!"
A few hours later, we were driving to a birthday party and I said, "So, what do you think, Rosie. After your experience today...did you like it or not so much?" I had no idea what to expect in terms of her response. Her answer; "Oh yeah. I loved it." I smiled. And so it begins....
Listen to this:
Beautiful World (Original Mix) - Paul Oakenfold & Disfunktion Ft. Spitfire