Friday, March 13, 2015

ONE DOSE

"The beautiful spring came; and when Nature resumes her loveliness, 
the human soul is apt to revive also."
~ Harriet Ann Jacobs

WEDNESDAY AM
Wednesday, March 11th  
8:30AM  37℉ 
When I stepped outside, the sun was shining, the snow was melting, and the mud was flowing.  I didn't need a hat and gloves for the first time since November.  I might have shed a tear or two.  Sweet, sweet spring, I said out loud to no one in particular, never have I loved you more.  I am fully aware that spring isn't here to stay.  But, for that moment, I just wanted to pretend.  I threw on a pair of 3/4 length tights and a long sleeve shirt (wait, that's all??) and headed out for an 8 mile cruiser.  Turns out, my legs could have cared less about the weather.  They were heavy and stiff and within minutes they were tired.  I did my best to grin and bear it but I was hurting.  Cue the frustration.  This was the first nice day in months and I really wanted to feel awesome.  Instead I was shuffling my way through the miles and counting the seconds until it was over.  Dammit.  When I got home, defeated, I hopped in the shower and started thinking about the rest of my day.  First on my list, a much needed sports massage, which is always a combination of both torture and bliss.  After that, I had to hit the grocery store, the car wash, CVS and somewhere in there I needed to grab lunch.  I know, thrilling.

WEDNESDAY PM
5 Hours later  
1:30PM 56℉
By the time I pulled in to the driveway the temp had climbed another 20 degrees.  What the....???!!!  It felt downright tropical outside.  I hopped out of the car, walked over to my front porch and just sat down.  For a solid 10 minutes I soaked up the sun, virtually drinking in the warmth.  It was incredible.  Screw this, I thought.  I'm going running....again.  I threw on a pair of shorts (yes, shorts) and a t-shirt, grabbed my iPod and flew out the door.  Don't think.  Just go.  I'd love to tell you that, unlike my first run, my legs were fresh and light and that I floated through the miles.  But that would be lying.  What I did experience, however, was a different kind of elation.  I was just so genuinely thrilled to be running outside in warm weather.  From start to finish I had a childlike skip in my step and an ear to ear grin plastered on my face.  I wasn't worried about mileage or pace.  Nothing mattered.  And everything was awesome.  I may not have felt physically fast and free but I sure as hell felt it mentally.  So, yea, it was a good run.

THURSDAY AM
Thursday, March 12th
8:30AM  32℉ & windy
Back to winter.  The air was chilly and the wind was whipping.  The hat and gloves were on again.  The kids were a little slower and a bit quieter as they got into the car for school; the joy of the day before having worn off.  As I got ready to run, bundling up in multiple layers, I had to smile. Wednesday had made such a lasting impression on my brain.  I couldn't stop thinking about how good it felt and what an incredible mood it had put me in.  It was just a little dose of what's to come.  And it was all I needed.

Listen to this:
Baby Please - WE ARE TWIN 

No comments:

Post a Comment