Tuesday, May 14, 2019

TOP 10 SIGNS THAT SPRING HASN'T SPRUNG. AND WHY IT'S OK.

"The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month." 
~ Henry Van Dyke


Last week, after about a month and a half of rain almost daily along with temps in the 40s, I started to lose it a little bit and wrote up this post outlining my top ten signs that it's not even close to feeling like spring.  Then this past Saturday, it was warm-ish and sunny so I held off.  Despite my wishful thinking, on Sunday it was, once again, cold and rainy.  Stupid Murphy.  I'm all for a good movie day with my family, but you can only have so many of those before you start to feel like the laziest person on the planet.  Today, Tuesday, it's still raining and the "feel like" temp is 40.  This morning my 14 year old jokingly told me that she was depressed and didn't want to go to school.  I mean, she never really wants to go to school, but the weather definitely isn't helping.  And I get it.  It's really hard to motivate to do anything when it's like this for multiple days in a row.  Even my dogs seem to be walking around with their heads hanging down.  Most likely because I'm not walking them as much.  Also because of the rain.  So, here's what I'm going to do.  I'm going to go ahead and post my original list of signs that it's definitely not spring yet.  But, so that I'm not a total Debbie Downer, I'm going to attempt to stay somewhat positive and post a second list of reasons why rainy and cold every...single...day isn't the worst thing ever.  You can guess which one took me longer to put together.  I'm thinking there is a good chance it will be uncomfortably hot and dry as soon as I publish this, which, at this point, I'm more than happy to deal with.  They say sunnier days are ahead.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Until then, stay warm.

TOP 10 SIGNS THAT IT'S NOT YET SPRING


1. My motivation to run, or do anything active for that matter, is ridiculously low.
2. Getting out of bed in the morning remains very challenging.
3. I'm still wearing my winter jacket and my hat & gloves are readily available at all times.
4. Our heat is still on.
5. Getting out of the shower, especially after a run, continues to be virtually impossible.
6. I haven't had an iced coffee yet.
7. Our grill has cobwebs on it.
8. My standard warm weather grooming needs are minimal to none, as shaving and nail care are totally unnecessary.
9. Reading is my activity of choice.  Because it's the only choice.
10. There's snow in the forecast and it's not weird.

TOP 10 REASONS WHY RAINY & COLD DOESN'T SUCK


1. Everything outside is in full bloom, crazy green and growing like mad.
2. The pollen count is way down.
3. I'm getting to spend more quality time with the family since no one wants to go outside.
4. We don't have to blast the A/C.
5. There's no need for a car wash.
6. This is really good sleeping weather.
7. My girls are still getting their homework done because their friends arent' hanging outside after school.
8. A hot coffee has never tasted better.
9. Sunscreen is expensive and a pain in the ass.  Don't need it.
10. Any day that the sun comes out is literally the BEST DAY EVER.  

Listen to this:
Empty Skies - Haelos

1 comment: