Thursday, August 7, 2014

HARD WORKOUTS: A TOP 10 LIST

"There is no substitute for hard work."
~ Thomas A. Edison

FLYIN' HIGH POST RUN

At the moment, I am gearing up for a 9.25 mile tempo run.  As I drink my coffee, I am having a serious heart to heart with my head and my legs.  The breakdown of the workout is as follows: 2 mile warmup followed by 2 x 2.5 miles at 6:45-6:50 pace with a quarter mile rest between sets followed by a 2 mile cool down.  Oh Lordy.  Last night, my mother in law asked me why I do these workouts.  "It sounds awful" she said.  I laughed.  "It is kind of awful," I told her, "but it's also kind of awesome".  She looked at me like I was crazy, which was totally fair.  Seriously, though, why do I do these workouts?  I am not an elite athlete.  My performance as a runner impacts no one but myself.  No one, including my coach, is standing next to me making sure I get them done.  So, why?  Because they're fun?  Ah ha ha ha ha.  No.  I can't, in my right mind, tell you I do them because I enjoy them.  That would be a lie.  Here's my best shot at explaining it:

TOP 10 REASONS WHY I CHOOSE TO DO HARD WORKOUTS
1. Because they add variety to my training.
2. Because they are a welcome challenge (most of the time).
3. Because they push me out of my comfort zone, which we all need once in a while.
4. Because they help me get stronger and faster.
5. Because I like to tell my high school runners not only that I get it, but that I know their hard work will pay off when they are tackling the same workouts.
6. Because they boost my confidence as a runner, mom, coach & person.
7. Because they help to justify my post-run coffee habit.
8. Because they give me bragging rites, regardless of whether I choose to use them.
9. Because I can.
10. Because when they're done, I feel like a superhero for the rest of the day, which is a damn good feeling.  No cape required.

Okay, I'm leaving now.  Really, I am.

Listen to this:
Run-Time - Imogen Heap  

3 comments:

  1. Completely agree with all these sentiments on the tempo runs / hard workouts. I get this response from family / friends / coworkers, the like, and I always come back with responses like that. Love when you still just get that blank stare from them. More power to us - hope the run went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard as hell, but I got it done! And, yes, more power to us. High-five!

      Delete
  2. Totally love this.
    When you put in the hard yards, you get the results.

    ReplyDelete